IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Help with County Court Claim!!

Options
WelshLass
WelshLass Posts: 18 Forumite
edited 18 October 2017 at 11:42PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hi Guys
I'm new to this - already posted this in wrong forumw this morning!! Doh!

The DRIVER parked in a private car park (with Stapark signage and anpr) to unload the car for a village table top sale and the organiser said dont worry about paying as your just dropping your stuff off as they were doing the selling. So the driver parked , unloaded for around 30 mins at 9am then went back around 1430 again for around 30mins to pick unsold stuff up
Subsequently I the Keeper started receiving PCN notices from zzps. I ignored all correspondence that they sent through as was told by locals that no one paid in that car park.
( if the driver has ever used the car park for actual parking they do pay which they have texts confirming)
So I ignored the letters from zzps and then the solicitors wright hassell sent me letters threatening a CCJ
the driver has never responded or called either company
I hadnt heard anything since around July and haven't had a letter before Court come but this morning I've received the claim form from the county court the claimant being - CEL
I don't know what to do now??
Any help would be really appreciated

Thanks in advance
Aimee

Comments

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    edit the above and remove any hint of who was driving

use THE DRIVER and THE KEEPER to describe those entities

you fill in the AOS online on the CCBC website , not putting anything in the defence box

read post #2 of the NEWBIES sticky thread, especially the BARGEPOLE walk through and do the AOS online on the MCOL website

do not write anything at all in the defence box

once the AOS is done , you have extended the deadline from 14 days to 28 days to submit the defence

read about a dozen similar CEL court case threads posted over the last 2 weeks, so you understand the process and advice and the key defence points

it is unlikely that you will be using any of the paperwork you were sent as the defence will be emailed as a completed pdf once completed and sanctioned for submission
  • WelshLass
    Options
    Hey Redx
    I've read your advice and gone through the newbie section on claims and a lot of the newest cel threads but can't really see any similar to mine so don't really know where to start with a defence of their claim against me - signage- it is clear as I've used it prior to this ,
    I don't know where to start and feel a bit overwhelmed
    Sorry to sound like a total sap!!
  • Redx
    Options
    edit post #1 again so that any hint of who was driving is removed

ie: The driver has never been named

when the driver uses that car park the driver always pays

etc

then start to adapt this recent CEL defence to suit

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5729157
  • WelshLass
    Options
    Thanks Red
    It's so easy to trip yourself up! Do they get a time limit to make a claim to a County Court? The date of parking ticket was issued 041216
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,743 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 18 October 2017 at 11:51PM
    Options
    Please Google it - anyone has 6 years to being proceedings for debt.

You do not need to find an example similar to yours. Please use the NEWBIES thread and promise us you won't come back shrieking for help when, after you defend this you get the boring DQ form (fully expected piece of paper from the court).
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Redx
    Options
    aimeeN79 wrote: »
    Thanks Red
    It's so easy to trip yourself up! Do they get a time limit to make a claim to a County Court? The date of parking ticket was issued 041216

6 years (72 months) for england and wales (5 in scotland)

its been that way since the small claims court was introduced back in 1973 (I think Ted Heath was PM back then) so not new , 44 years is a long time but the only changes are that its moved on line and recently had new protocols put in place (18 days ago)
  • WelshLass
    Options
    Hi Guys ,
    I've done the AOC on MCOL and have started to draft a defence from the other ones that you recommend I look at - here it is so far ...I feel though that I couldn't really put a lot about signage as the driver has paid in that past ? What are your thoughts? As the driver picked up and dropped off items in the same day could this be put in the defence?
  • Lamilad
    Lamilad Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    .I feel though that I couldn't really put a lot about signage as the driver has paid in that past ?
    So what! All that proves is the driver read the tariff board. It doesn't mean the signage was clear and prominent enough to make them aware that they were entering into a contract where they would have to comply with numerous T&Cs or else be landed with an outrageously disproportionate parking charge.... So, yes - you do attack signage
    As the driver picked up and dropped off items in the same day could this be put in the defence?
    I don't see how it's relevant or helpful
  • WelshLass
    Options
    Thanks Lami I will attack the signage in my defence and try and paste it on here...
    I am struggling to copy and paste it out of my word document though, any ideas why? It just keeps saying sorry your reply can't be posted retry again
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,648 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    aimeeN79 wrote: »
    I am struggling to copy and paste it out of my word document though, any ideas why? It just keeps saying sorry your reply can't be posted retry again
    Have a read of this recent thread:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport