Partial refund for faulty item

Options
Please can anyone advise me on this?
2 weeks ago we spent £257 in B&Q, whilst there we signed up to their loyalty card and got a voucher for spend over £30 and get £5 off so we used it! One of the items though has broken - a Santa please stop here sign, so today I took it back for a refund. I didn't want another as to be honest it was pretty flimsy so could imagine another one breaking. When I got home I realised that they hadn't given me the whole £10 back, they had deducted a % of the £5 voucher. Is this right? In my mind, even with that item being removed we would still have spent way over the £30 to have used all of the voucher.
Yes I have contacted the store who said it's correct and nothing they can do. I have also messaged their Facebook page who said I must contact the store. Now I know it's only a matter of a few pence, but actually I'm quite cross as it was a faulty item, not just a case of me changing my mind. Someone tell me this is wrong!
Thanks

Comments

• Keep_pedalling
    Options
    What they have done sounds correct to me unless you spent over £40, in which case you would still have met their requirements to get the £10 off.
  • stuartJo1989
    Options
    Well... how much did they actually refund you by?

I ask because a £5 discount on a £262 order (you paid £257) is about 1.9% and if the discount is distributed evenly then £10 worth of items results in a 19p reduction...

So, are we talking about roughly 19p here?! If so, with the utmost respect I'd suggest that you move on with your life.

I don't know the exact law around this, but the offer effectively takes off a very small percentage from the price of each item and in that respect their way of refunding you is unusually fair here!*

*That being said, had you made multiple orders of £30ish then you would have received more than 1 discount, which is food for thought next time... and also results in a bigger discount per item.

So yea, mathematically I think this is a really good refund on their part!
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    *That being said, had you made multiple orders of £30ish then you would have received more than 1 discount, which is food for thought next time... and also results in a bigger discount per item.

I may be wrong but it doesn’t sound like there was more than one voucher/code for this offer, it’s sounds like a single use reward for signing up to the loyalty scheme so even if the order was split there would have only been one discount applied. The only difference would be the way the voucher was applied to the individual items, but the overall savings off the whole order would be the same.
  • stuartJo1989
    Options
    Fosterdog wrote: »
    I may be wrong but it doesn’t sound like there was more than one voucher/code for this offer, it’s sounds like a single use reward for signing up to the loyalty scheme so even if the order was split there would have only been one discount applied. The only difference would be the way the voucher was applied to the individual items, but the overall savings off the whole order would be the same.

Aye true.

Sometimes you can play the system though and, for example, go with a family member + both sign up to receive the offer (and split the order into two parts) = 2x £5 discounts.

Plus, £5 off a £30 order is a larger discount %% than £5 off a £262 order.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It seems to be on the same principal as when you pay for an order with cash and vouchers any refund goes to the vouchers first.

You got £5 off an order and returned one item. The discount was applied to the item returned
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I know exactly what the OP is getting at.

Offer = £5 off if spend over £30

Purchase, say 5 items at £10 each, so total paid = £50 - £5 = £45

Return one item so due a refund of £10 as total spend on items kept = £40 so therefore still entitled to £5 discount. Store only refunds £9 because they have spread the £5 discount over the 5 items.

Same has happened to me at M&S twice and the cashier couldn't see that there was a problem. Had to do maths on a piece of paper with the manager before he "got it" and did an override on the till to give me back the correct refund.
  • stuartJo1989
    Options
    LilElvis wrote: »
    I know exactly what the OP is getting at.

Offer = £5 off if spend over £30

Purchase, say 5 items at £10 each, so total paid = £50 - £5 = £45

Return one item so due a refund of £10 as total spend on items kept = £40 so therefore still entitled to £5 discount. Store only refunds £9 because they have spread the £5 discount over the 5 items.

Same has happened to me at M&S twice and the cashier couldn't see that there was a problem. Had to do maths on a piece of paper with the manager before he "got it" and did an override on the till to give me back the correct refund.

Yea, I get it as well! To be fair but OP should have insisted in a similar manner to you, as it is a perfectly valid way of viewing it. 9/10 times you will get it resolved like that (even if you are in the wrong).

In fairness to the company though, what happens if a person spends £40 and then returns £10 worth of items + gets the full £10 refund (they still qualify for the £30 spend)? Sure, they've got the full £10 in cash but let's say that they then return a £5 item.... Hang on a sec, their order no longer qualifies for the discount! So they'd be returning the item FOR NOTHING!

That's why I like the % discount more.... It avoids situations whereby:

1. A customer's refund is disproportionate or even unfair

2. The company loses track of whether or not you are eligible for the discount, or limits the risk of fraud taking place (if they are faced with a situation whereby a £5 return no longer qualifies you for the £5 discount, they are probably likely to put it through the till as a one off).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure