Home visit from school

My great grandson is - to my granddaughter's joy - starting next week at her local state nursery school which is attached to her nearest primary school.

I was surprised to hear that, before his first day (Thursday), someone from the school will be visiting her at home. I mentioned it to a friend and she said it was quite the norm but didn't know the reason for these visits.

Is it just in our part of London that this happens and what's the reason for it?

Comments

• LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    chesky wrote: »
    My great grandson is - to my granddaughter's joy - starting next week at her local state nursery school which is attached to her nearest primary school.

I was surprised to hear that, before his first day (Thursday), someone from the school will be visiting her at home. I mentioned it to a friend and she said it was quite the norm but didn't know the reason for these visits.

Is it just in our part of London that this happens and what's the reason for it?

My daughter is 7 and we had a home visit before she started Foundation with both her class teacher and teaching assistant visiting together. She also had 3 sessions in the July where the children went into the classroom in groups for an hour or two to help them to acclimatise. The teaching staff therefore had had an opportunity to observe the children prior to them starting school full-time, but the home visit allows them to see the child in an environment in which they are comfortable and are more likely to see their natural behaviour and disposition. They chatted with my daughter about what she liked to do at nursery and I was able to ask them any questions I had and to give them any information which I considered relevant. They also borrowed her work and observation folder from nursery so they could read more about her attitude/behaviour/abilities. I found it a very pro active and positive experience and meant that they had some understanding of the children when they went into school for their first official day and, conversely, the children weren't as nervous as they weren't being left with strangers.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Happened for both ours in North and in London. Nice way to introduce teachers to family and vice versa in the home environment but suspect there's also an 'address checking' element for those who claim to live in places they don't for catchment purposes (not seen evidence of this in the North but certainly did in London
  • Quite normal. I work in schools and Reception class teachers make home visits at the start of the year.
  • this happened for my eldest 2 in London- but not for my 3rd in Essex
  • Didnt used to happen round here, my youngest is now 17 though. Glad it didnt either, i have an immense dislike of people coming in my home unless i know them extremely well, it's beyond dislike actually it really does cause me a lot of anxiety. Valid reasons for it though, which i shan't go into.
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
  • I'm in Merseyside, and my oldest is 26. We didn't have a visit from her teacher.

My middle child is 19 and disabled, and even though he attended the school nursery, we had a visit (different school to my daughter - she attended the village school but it closed down). My younger son attended the same school as his brother and I can't remember whether we had a visit or not - again, he had attended the school nursery from age three.
  • suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    We had home visits for our children prior to starting primary. It is to see how the child is in comfortable surroundings but also to check you live where you say you live and didn't put a false address in the catchment area rather than your home address out of the area!
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • we live in Kent and for many schools around here it is normal. We didn't have it for the school we chose after all, as they don't do it. I was glad if I'm honest I find the thought a little intrusive - we're quite hermitish by nature!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • chesky
    chesky Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Quite normal. I work in schools and Reception class teachers make home visits at the start of the year.

Thanks everyone. How times do change, I think it would have been unheard of, even for my grandchildren.

It must be so time consuming for the teachers - if you think there must be, what 20 or 25 - each one to travel to, then stay I suppose for an hour or so.

I did also wonder about the address checking. I think we've had trouble with this locally, with people trying to get into schools here by renting somewhere for a short period of time.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,138 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I've got 2 kids now aged 17 and 14, both attended the nursery attached to the school they went to. Home visits weren't done for the older one, but were for the younger. I didn't get one though, as unaware there'd been a policy change in the interim years, I'd booked us to go on holiday. I told them we couldn't do the home visit and that was fine by them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure