Help please! Housing benefit

Options
Hi,
I'm a single mum of one who is currently claiming partial housing benefit, working tax credit and child tax credit. I'm currently working 16 hours for the NHS. I have got a meeting next week at a stage 3 hearing which Can result in a decision to dismiss me from my post straight away due to 6 sick events in the last year. My question is regarding wether I could lose my housing benefit? I know I will not be able to claim jsa for a minimum of 3 weeks but my main fear is losing mine and my sons home. Would housing benefit cover all my rent? Could they make me leave my home? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Just need to try and put my mind at rest before I have a complete nervous breakdown! Thanks in advance! X

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    They won't stop your housing benefit. It may be reassessed on your new income.

They may pay your full rent, they may not, depending on how much your local authority rate is compared to your rent.
  • Littlecatpaw
    Options
    Thank you! Hopefully they will cover all my rent whilst I am looking for a new job! Hopefully that doesn't happen but unfortunately they have taken things this far so doesn't look too good for me :-(
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you! Hopefully they will cover all my rent whilst I am looking for a new job! Hopefully that doesn't happen but unfortunately they have taken things this far so doesn't look too good for me :-(

Have you checked your local authority rate (I will assume for a 2 bed property) against your rent?
  • Littlecatpaw
    Options
    I think it works out at about £1 less than my rent. So within the limits I believe
  • jessex1990
    jessex1990 Posts: 137 Forumite
    Options
    I think it works out at about £1 less than my rent. So within the limits I believe

That's good so you would only have to find £1 aweek
  • Housing_Benefit_Officer
    Options
    Unlike the DWP the reason why your job ceased isn't relevant in awarding Housing Benefit - we just look at you actual weekly income. If you cease work and your wages stop then we remove the wages from the benefit calculation.
    These are my own views and you should seek advice from your local Benefits Department or CAB.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    I'm not sure why you think that you won't be able to claim JSA for a minimum of three weeks. You should put in a claim straight away. If they decided you are to be sanctioned it could be much longer than three weeks.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Littlecatpaw
    Options
    Thank you for both your replies! The jsa part of my issues is less bothersome for me as I will find some way to make ends meet! I know that the minimum sanction is three weeks for the jsa but am expecting it to be longer! Just scared of losing mine and my sons home but as long as housing benefit covers my rent I'm sure I will be able to find some way of coping on my child tax credits (£60 per week)
  • Marmiter
    Marmiter Posts: 370 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    You should get a 4 week run on of working tax credits, which means that no matter what reason your job finished, your income may be too high to qualify for JSA anyway (depending on what your WTC award is).

If you're not getting any help with your council tax at the moment, make sure you make a new claim for CTR/CTS once your income changes.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    How long have you worked there?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business