Tax Credits Stopped

Hi,

New to the forums and i'm hoping for some help with last years Tax Credits claim.

So my son was born on 1st June 2016 and I phone tax credits to tell them 4 days later.

We started to receive payment for him and everything was fine until February 2017 when they asked for a copy of his Birth Certificate and stopped payment of Tax Credits. We sent out the birth certificate and received a letter back saying we had been overpaid by over £1900. When we asked how this had come about they said that they had removed my youngest from the claim as they hadn't received a birth certificate and could only backdate the claim for a month from the date they received the birth certificate. I argued that I had made a claim at the beginning of the year for him so it should be allowed from that date. Is this correct ?

Got fobbed off by them telling me I need to wait for and complete my renewal form before they could amend last years. This came the first day in June and was submitted online the same day. The message on the personal tax screen said I had to wait till 25th July to receive a response from them. No response until 2 weeks ago when they asked me to confirm where my wife was working. Rang them the same day and give them the information they wanted along with asking them where they was with my claim. They then said there would be an 8 - 10 week wait before they could give me an answer.

I just really need some help with this as its been dragging on FAR to long and they are stopping £45 a week from this years claim to pay for the overpayment they say I owe plus the money that I should have received from Feb, March and April that they suspended.

1. Am I right in thinking the claim should still be allowed from the date I first notified them?
2. Is it normal for them to take so long?
3. Is there anyone I could speak to that could speed them up on their decision as this has been going on since February and its becoming abit of a joke?

Thanks

Matt

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills