PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    The epitome of 'CFO' is what I'm having right now. A small bowl of vegan coleslaw on it's own. Just because I can. Should have had it with a jacket potato but couldn't be bothered to microwave one.

Good luck PN, just try and avoid making more left overs or buying too much. I know I'm doing it all the time but...
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good, small, haul... deliberately avoiding anything that could become freezer fodder - so no loaf of bread and no muffins as they were too short-dated.

Bought 2 cans of Pepsi (overpriced at 39p, but I really fancied them) + 6 crumpets + 500g honey/peanut cornflakes + 2 part-baked baguettes, 10 large eggs

£3.22 I think that lot came to.

So I've now scoffed a portion of those cornflakes. :)

I'll probably have a crumpet later ....
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

So I'm sitting here all alone and sad and hungry as I'm torn in so many directions ....

And I know that anybody/everybody would tell me "you've done great... go on ... go to the shops" ....

So I'm off to the shops ... not really sure what for to be honest!

:)

Good decision :) I hope that you come back with something nice.
    While you're out could you please get me something nice as well please? I don't know what I fancy, but it should only take you a few hours to drive up here :D
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    I hope that you come back with something nice.

I'm rapidly reaching the conclusion that it's fab that Ldl/ldi are my closest stores as they give me access to cheap food ... but ... I really crave the exciting variety of 45da, my "favourite" shop that I'd most like to live close to.

I go into L/A looking for "something nice", but they routinely fail to provide.

I think I need to start shopping at 45da, say, once every month, just to enjoy looking at their wonderful vast ranges and pretty packaging :) And to routinely treat myself from their wonderful selections...
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Good afternoon everyone,

Still caught up in the fridge/freezer saga..... so today has been interesting to say the least.:eek: Put it this way I will never trust my Dad to measure anything again. The space it needs to go in is quite small so not much wiggle room size wise. Unbeknown to me my Dad had measured his old fridge/freezer in inches and then incorrectly converted it to cms why he didn't use the measuring tape with both I don't know or at least give me the inches measurement. He had used 2.84 cms to the inch:eek: and told me his old one was 59.5 cm and there was an inch of space on either side. Anyhow 60 cm wide ordered which of course didn't fit or could have been rammed in but there would have been no ventilation space. So a panicked phone from my Dad first thing ensued with me trying to get my act together to balance enough to get a taxi to his house. The guys took the new one away and gave us a number to call and said not to worry. I have to say AO have been brilliant, I phoned and explained and another one is coming tomorrow. No extra charge for delivering again and they were extremely sympathetic and helpful.:) Needless to say there has been no CFO today just a quick sarnie made late morning.

I'm not CFO tonight - I was going to make pasta bake for me & my son but he managed to have pasta at lunch time (the team works on take turns to bring lunch in for their colleagues most Fridays and today it was pasta salad) so we are having breaded haddock from the freezer with HM wedges and salad.:)

Interesting re the loose fruit/veg, I usually buy packs of veg but apples, pears and bananas loose as I don't get through a pack even if it is dearer. Tesco here do loose "seasonal" potatoes as well as well a loose baking and sweet potato but everyday spuds are only in bags.

Oh dear aging Parents eh, my dear Mum just wouldn't be told that the new three piece suite is so wanted wasn't going to fit through her tiny hall, like 3ft square with two doors, she went ahead and ordered it, the company were not as nice and helpful as yours and dumped it in the front garden. Tears and tantrums on phone and I lived 35 miles away, but got there before it rained and had to find someone to take the bloody bay window out to get it in. But I look back and smile now because she didn't live long after getting her pride and joy and she so enjoyed it.
    Slimming World at target
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm rapidly reaching the conclusion that it's fab that Ldl/ldi are my closest stores as they give me access to cheap food ... but ... I really crave the exciting variety of 45da, my "favourite" shop that I'd most like to live close to.

Even though I have got more choice now I've got the trolley, I still can't get to a Lidl because I would have to get 2 buses each way. Asda would be hard to get to either by bus or on foot because of the nature of the roads that I would have to try and walk along. I'm happy with the extra choices that I have got now I've got the trolley though :D
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    .... extra choices ...

There's a Waitrose just over a mile from me; I don't go in there because it's all a bit pricey... and there's a parking fee! The trolley will enable me to walk the extra distance when I'm in that area as it's a trek from the shop and through an underpass to everything else. At some point I'll investigate their offers/cheapest few basics and might occasionally actually buy something there and then trot home with an "I shopped at Waitrose glow" :)
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    PN - well done on getting your freezer down at last, what an achievement. Wish mine was like yours just now, but it's crammed to the gunnels. Grrr.

Caronc - oh you poor thing, you are certainly not having it easy just now. Great service from the place your Dad got the new freezer from, hats off to them.
    Had a similar issue when staying in a friends house before our furniture arrived. Measured space for FF in her house and ordered one to fit....only to find that although houses were identical, measurements within were not. Hasty trip back to the shop to choose another to fit. Valuable lesson learned, I double check measurements for everything now.

SunnyGirl - well done on the tweets, and also to everyone else contributing to the loose/pack issue.

Went into town with a friend yesterday, we usually go out to do a spot of shopping and have a bite to eat, once a week. I really should have taken a photo of the fruit and veg in the supermarket we went into. Not a bagged thing in site. I was very good though and only bought 4 plum tomatoes and a couple of small cucumbers, which I will go through within 2-3 days.

Fridge temp is fluctuating all the time, should ideally be about 4C, but was 2C when I left, and 9C when I returned home, then 7, and back down to 4.
    Water is leaking through the vent from the freezer into the fridge. Will take all the freezer stuff up to my friend today and switch it off to let any ice inside the works melt, and call the repair man to come on Monday to assess the situation. Will have to rely on a cool box for my fridge stuff. Luckily there is not a lot of perishables in the fridge, and made sure that I didn't buy anything yesterday, other than a pot of strained yoghurt, which I eat every day, and will be fine in the cool box for a few days.
    Typical for this time to happen the week that the temp soars....sorry for all you ones being wet and soggy in the UK, really not rubbing it in. Just sods law.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Anne_Marie wrote: »
    a couple of small cucumbers, which I will go through within 2-3 days.
    How?? I never buy cucumbers. I resent the fact that a half, when available, is disproportionately priced compared to a full one ... but there's so MUCH of it. I don't object to a bit of cucumber in a cheese/cucumber sandwich, but I find them pretty "pointless", just wet and tasteless. It'd take me 2-3 weeks to get through two small ones.
    .... call the repair man
    If mine broke it wouldn't occur to me to call a repair man, I'd just buy a new one. I suspect a repair man would cost similar to buying new and I'd guess that the repair man would say "you need a new one", so might as well cut to the chase :)
    Typical for this time to happen the week that the temp soars....sorry for all you ones being wet and soggy in the UK, really not rubbing it in. Just sods law.
    Here it's grey, overcast, cool. The weatherman says most of the recent winds will go, but many will have rain (I hope not me as my lawn needs cutting).
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 June 2017 at 7:26AM
    Options
    How?? I never buy cucumbers. I resent the fact that a half, when available, is disproportionately priced compared to a full one ... but there's so MUCH of it. I don't object to a bit of cucumber in a cheese/cucumber sandwich, but I find them pretty "pointless", just wet and tasteless. It'd take me 2-3 weeks to get through two small ones.

I'm going through a phase of eating a lot of cucumber just now. Am loving it with cheese in a toastie, as well as in a salad. I also put chunks in soda water/water as well as a slice of lemon. Drinking a lot just now due to the heat. (I don't do coke/lemonade etc at all, far too sweet). There is definitely a taste to them here, honestly. They are very small, probably three would maybe be size of 1 in UK, possibly a bit smaller. Also goes very nice in a G & T which I had two of in the last week.
    If mine broke it wouldn't occur to me to call a repair man, I'd just buy a new one. I suspect a repair man would cost similar to buying new and I'd guess that the repair man would say "you need a new one", so might as well cut to the chase :)

Call out charge is about £10 max if they don't live locally...if they do, they don't charge you, apart from obviously parts and time spent. They try to fix everything here, buying new is a last resort! I've gotten into the Cypriot way of thinking now. You are perfectly right, in the UK I would just have bought a new one.
    Here it's grey, overcast, cool. The weatherman says most of the recent winds will go, but many will have rain (I hope not me as my lawn needs cutting).

Will keep fingers crossed for you.

Meant to say that all fruit/veg here is priced per kg, so no benefits of buying more than you need.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure