What does NEW mean???

Options
Looking at iphones and spotted one listed as new, but desc.says:
"I have a new but used iphone 5s gold on the 02 network it is gold in colour it comes with box and leads etc it is In reamarkable condition my girlfriend as owned this phone so its been really looked after."

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    Options
    Item Condition
    New

A brand-new, unused, unopened and undamaged item in the original packaging (where packaging is applicable). Packaging should be the same as what is found in the retail shop. If the item comes straight from the manufacturer it may be delivered in non-retail packaging, such as an unprinted box or plastic bag. See the seller's listing for full details.

New other (see details)

A new, unused item with absolutely no signs of wear. The item may be missing its original packaging, or the original packaging has been opened or is no longer sealed. The item may be a factory second, or a new and unused item with minor defects. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections.

Manufacturer refurbished

An item that has been professionally restored to working order by a manufacturer-approved vendor. This means the product has been inspected, cleaned and repaired to meet manufacturer specifications and is in excellent condition. This item may or may not be in its original packaging. See the seller’s listing for full detail.

Seller refurbished

An item that has been restored to working order by the eBay seller or a third party not approved by the manufacturer. This means the item has been inspected, cleaned and repaired to full working order and is in excellent condition. This item may or may not be in its original packaging. See the seller’s listing for full details.
    Used

An item that has been previously used. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended. This item may be a floor model or an item that has been returned to the seller after a period of use. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections.

For parts or not working

An item that does not function as intended or is not fully operational. This includes items that are defective in ways that render them difficult to use, items that require service or repair, or items missing essential components. See the seller’s listing for full details.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Looking at iphones and spotted one listed as new, but desc.says:
    "I have a new but used iphone 5s gold on the 02 network it is gold in colour it comes with box and leads etc it is In reamarkable condition my girlfriend as owned this phone so its been really looked after."

I would suggest any seller selling a used item as new is one to be avoided.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • lovinituk
    lovinituk Posts: 5,711 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have a new but used
    Um, no they don't! I would steer clear of any seller that doesn't understand the difference!
  • Brywalker
    Brywalker Posts: 319 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Maybe they meant to say '"an As New but used iphone"
  • soolin
    Options
    Brywalker wrote: »

'As new' would also be mis described , from the description this is a used item however much the seller tries to mislead.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • alykatz
    alykatz Posts: 926 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Brywalker wrote: »
    Even if it is as new it should still be listed in the used catergory.
  • techspec
    techspec Posts: 4,464 Forumite
    Options
    The last few items i have bought 'new' have been used.

Don't know how sellers expect to get away with it.

One, a dongle, had history of usage dating back a year still on it :mad:
  • alykatz
    alykatz Posts: 926 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Ebay has to be the only place you can buy a brand new used item.
  • soolin
    Options
    techspec wrote: »
    The last few items i have bought 'new' have been used.

Don't know how sellers expect to get away with it.

One, a dongle, had history of usage dating back a year still on it :mad:

There is a seller on one on the Facebook selling groups I use that sells baby items. All her stuff is 'new' she states as her policy that she wouldn't want used items for her children so doesn't sell used items to other people.

Some of the things she currently has listed are a few pushchairs with comments like 'new- used for a small baby for no more than 3 months, suitable for newborn, complete with cover and rain canopy.' 'New buggy system, frame used for no more than 5 months, cot part used only twice, carry seat like new, barely 4 months light use' , and so on.

She is currently involved in an online slanging match with someone who turned up to buy a pram and refused to pay for it as it was in a disgusting state. Seller claims you can barely see the damages and buyer is a %*^# , buyer is responding by saying wheels were filthy, there was baby sick on the padded seating part and dog hairs all over the cover. It is better than Eastenders, the latest instalment is the seller getting all her mates to threaten the buyer who is being ^%#* about a few minor issues with a pram that is 'new'
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure