got decision today

Options
hi guys
got my decision today and i have been awarded high rate mobility which im really happy about in fact extreamly happy, the care part i was gobsmacked about, i get low rate right now for severe depression and that hasnt changed they have kept it as low rate, so just wanted to ask is it worth me asking them to reconsider i dont want to cause them stress and paper work but i thought if anything i would have got the care part, my reasons to think that would have been changed are : i cant go to the toilet without help i need putting on and taking off, i cant have a shower/bath alone i need putting in and taking out and also whilst im in having a shower someone has to be there to help me wash my hair etc, i cannot cook make a cuppa or anything to do with the kitchen as i need both arms to keep me upright, i sleep downstairs as i cannot go up stairs or down, basically i need help with everything, so what do u think should i ask for them to look again, i just dont want to cause them stress cos they must have thousands of claims and renewals to do.

thankyou for reading

Comments

• ShockingPink
    Options
    Hi - well done on the mobility compnent! As far as the care is concerned, it's all to do with how frequently you need attention. I don't think sleeping downstairs would count (that's a mobility issue) and the cooking bit is an either/or with care so doesn't increase your points.

But it's always worth asking them to look at it again - don't worry about causing them work, it's what they're there for!;)
    C'est le ton qui fait la chanson
  • nanokitten
    Options
    I would definaly appeal as its sounds like you need frequent attenton in the day and that is the middle rate.
    It is however a stressful process and will ake several months but here are my top tips
    1. you have 1 month from the date of the letter to appeal
    2. don't what ever you do call the dwp as they will try to get you to give your resons over the phone and they may not record them properly.
    3. find an independat benefts advisor (CAB, DIAL, MIND, other local charity) to help write the appeal letter.
    4. Put in writing that you want a formal appeal and send registered post get your advisor to help with the reasons (it should say on your decsion letter what their reasons were). consentrate on the amount of care that you need (number of times, how long it takes etc) and each episode of care should be linked to a bodily function eg eating washing, going to the toilet, comunicating...
  • TheWhiteButterfly
    Options
    Hi - well done on the mobility compnent! As far as the care is concerned, it's all to do with how frequently you need attention. I don't think sleeping downstairs would count (that's a mobility issue) and the cooking bit is an either/or with care so doesn't increase your points.

But it's always worth asking them to look at it again - don't worry about causing them work, it's what they're there for!;)

thankyou pink im so happy about the mobility part, i did think the stuff im unable to do could be the mobility part so will take that into consideration.
  • karen3268
    Options
    Glad you got your decision but be carefull i was awarded high care and low mobility and asked them to look at it again. They get somebody else to look at the decision and they review all the awards i lost everything. Been trying to sort it out since september!:mad:
  • TheWhiteButterfly
    Options
    nanokitten wrote: »
    I would definaly appeal as its sounds like you need frequent attenton in the day and that is the middle rate.
    It is however a stressful process and will ake several months but here are my top tips
    1. you have 1 month from the date of the letter to appeal
    2. don't what ever you do call the dwp as they will try to get you to give your resons over the phone and they may not record them properly.
    3. find an independat benefts advisor (CAB, DIAL, MIND, other local charity) to help write the appeal letter.
    4. Put in writing that you want a formal appeal and send registered post get your advisor to help with the reasons (it should say on your decsion letter what their reasons were). consentrate on the amount of care that you need (number of times, how long it takes etc) and each episode of care should be linked to a bodily function eg eating washing, going to the toilet, comunicating...

hi nano
    thankyou for your advice,was reading no2 and you say not to contact them, i was thinking about doing that when i got my letter off them, the guy i spoke to who told me what i had been awarded said i could speak to someone to see where i could go from there ie to overturn it, so do u think thats bad idea?

i see a lady from CAB about another issue and she did say to me if i didnt get what i thought i may get and what she expected i would get she would sort it all out for me like the appeal and do all the hard work to save me from stress so i know i will have help there, i feel quite bad trying to get the care part bit up cos they have awarded high mobility and im so happy about that, to be honest i didnt want to put in a claim at all for this and was told i must try as i was suffering and the help could make all the difference, i spose i didnt want to admit i was disabled, not being able to go toilet or have a wash takes all my dignity away from me but i do have a superb friend who does all this for me, to not be able to cook my children a meal does get me down but i have a good 14 year old who does all this for me so cant complain. :)
  • TheWhiteButterfly
    Options
    karen3268 wrote: »
    Glad you got your decision but be carefull i was awarded high care and low mobility and asked them to look at it again. They get somebody else to look at the decision and they review all the awards i lost everything. Been trying to sort it out since september!:mad:

oh that dont sound too good, i would be heartbroken if i lost the mobility part trying to go for the care part, getting the mobility part lets me get a blue badge which is so needed.

dont know what to do now
  • TheWhiteButterfly
    Options
    oh yeah just wanted to say i had a medical 2 weeks ago and all i can say what a lovely doctor i had to do it, he put me at ease from the very begining, a credit to his profession.
  • Valley's_girl
    Options
    karen3268 wrote: »

This prevents me from asking for an award review, I am on low care and high mobility, and my health has got much worse.
    I hope that you manage to get things sorted it must be a nightmare for you.
    Best wishes
    Ally x
    Official DMP Mutual Support Club Member No 30
  • TheWhiteButterfly
    Options
    i really dont know what to do now, got my letter this morning and it says on the care part i do not need help to : get in and out of bed, manage your toilet needs, wash bathe shower or dry yourself, dress and undress, get up and down stairs, move about indoors, eat and drink, manage medication,take part in social activities and get in and out of a chair.

i dont sleep in a bed i sleep downstairs cos i cannot go up or down the stairs so sleep in a chair, i cannot put myself on or off the toilet without help, i cannot get in or out of a bath or shower or wash my hair, i can dress myself but need help with buttons and zips and tie shoes up etc, cant get up or down the stairs, i can move about indoors with my crutches, i can eat or drink with one hand as long as someone has cooked it and brought it to me,can take my own medication, dont take part in social activities cos i dont go out often, can get in and out of a chair with the help of my crutches.

so now i dont know what to do, i dont want to ask them to review it and lose the mobility part, think i will speak to CAB see what she thinks cos the mobility part is more useful to me than the care part like getting the blue badge that will make my life so much easier care is only more money so not in it for the money, although the money is a good thing cos i can get someone to help me maybe clean the house and do washing and ironing but im so stuck on what to do lol

well happy with the high mobility i havent stopped smiling something i havent done in a long while.

wish i could speak to the guy who has signed this letter and ask him what he thinks i should do hehe

anyway thanks for your replies all
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport