Registering for tax through affiliate company

Options
Hi guys,

Another question for you. I've set myself up as a limited company in the UK.
My website is hosted via an American company bluehost.

I'm also going to be promoting different services on my site from different companies such as amazon, Evernote essentials, Bluehost etc and getting paid for affiliate links. I.e when people purchase through my links I earn a commission.

One of the sites I'm setting up with to do the affiliate links is CJ Affiliates.

They are asking for a tax information before they can pay any affiliate income generated (fair enough).

My question is which form to click, here are the choices!
Commission Junction is required to collect necessary tax information from our publishers prior to processing your payments. Please choose and submit an electronic form from the list below. For assistance in choosing the required form for your business, please contact a tax advisor or visit the IRS website at .
US persons
W-9 Request for Taxpayer Identification and Certification
Non-US persons
Certification of No United States Activities
W-8BEN Certificate of Foreign Status of Beneficial Owner for United States Tax Withholding

now of the two options for non-us residents (that's me)
I immediately assumed I would select "Certification of no united states activity" but when I clicked on this it does mention in the text about owning a hosting service.

Please sign and attest to the following information. By completing this form and clicking SUBMIT FORM you affirm that:

Publisher represents and warrants that it does not have any employees or equipment located in the United States ("U.S. Activities") that are involved in any way with the revenue that has been or will be earned by Publisher pursuant to the Commission Junction Affiliate Marketing program. U.S. Activities include, but are not limited to, owning a web server or owning a hosting service in the U.S., or having employees in the U.S. who are involved in either:

Setting up Publisher's web server, hosting service, or website
Developing content for Publisher's website
Marketing to create a user base for Publisher's site
Telephone support for Publisher's site
Buying products for Publisher's site
Maintaining Publisher's site

Does this mean if I host with an American web host company or have customers who buy my products from America, that I will need to fill in this W-8BEN form?

Some clarification from somebody with any experience would be great, many thanks!

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport