PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Making savings before it's too late

Options

Comments

• angela110660
    Options
    My daughter and I saw the Nutcracker on the big screen at the Vue a couple of years ago and it was fab. So much so that lovely daughter bought us both tickets to the ballet at Royal Opera House the next year to see Sleeping Beauty.
    Check your local cinema listings as it is a great way to see the ballet and a lot cheaper!
  • jackel
    jackel Posts: 201 Forumite
    Options
    Have spent the afternoon reading through the thread which I have really enjoyed. I have picked up some useful ideas too. I hope to continue to take part as I really must stick to frugal living as I am on basic state widows pension(no credits because of savings). My husband (who seemed as fit as a flee) sat down in the kitchen and died 20 months ago . I was so pleased to see Kitty raised the subject and gave such good advice stressing some of the problems which perhaps people do not think about. I know that I was glad that we had both made wills because without one even the sweetest people can turn "nasty" and also bank accounts which are in joint names are "available" single names are a hell of a fiddle to get sorted.Happy NY all jac.xx
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    Well - things come in threes. After the repairs to OH's car, and the faulty boiler, now my living room light switch isn't working!!

I went to turn it off last night - it's a dimmer switch that you press to turn off. When I pressed it went off, but when I 'unpressed' it came back on again!! Three times! In the end I had to just turn the lights right down. At least this is something that OH can fix. We're going to go back to an ordinary switch, as we seem to have had nothing but trouble with the dimmer switch, and we never use it to dim the lights anyway!!

So - off to B&Q as soon as they open this morning.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    welcome jackel, sorry for your loss. I bet you still get the odd letter or bill, I did for over two years. I couldn`t wait to get on an even keel, once the shock was over. It was the old style `chin up, chest out and just get on with it, keep busy` attitude, which I see so often in people in similar circumstances. We cannot change the past but we can plan to make the future as comfortable and as worry-free as possible and no-one should underestimate being worry-free probably equates being debt-free with a bit over to save

I have been working on my energy costs, now that temperatures outside are so low. I have an unusual house ie very low energy loss (eco) but I still use a heavy curtain on the big windows in the lounge and my bedroom. My stove for ch is wood pellet and fuel cost has gone up a lot, per bag, due to pellet powers stations and a shortage of suitable wood. I have a physics background and finally did some sums. Cost of electricity v kwh from the fuel, taking energy efficiencies (losses) into account. To my surprise, electricity is cheaper by far, only because the house is so highly energy efficient. Yesterday I gave my stove a clean and am now comfortable in being able to eke out the fuel I already have. My heaters are on now, thermostats controlling them. I am aiming to use up all bar one bag, for when/if I move. To be comfortable with the electricity cost pm, I will increase my monthly estimate on m/s money. I was buying 25 bags for £75, now £93 for 25 and not available :eek: and I have to lift, carry and store by myself. My neighbours are in panic mode, one forking out for a half pallet ie 50 bags, with a first come first served deal. I have explained the electricity v pellet cost but there is an old fashioned thinking that electricity is most expensive but that depends on the available heating source and in our case only v pellets. Up to them now but my conscience is clear re explanations. They are elderly btw, same type of house, don`t have science backgrounds and find it hard to grasp

So stash busting continues today, making a present for dd birthday, lovely socks and probably a lovely faire isle hat as she is outdoors a lot. Costing me nothing new
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It’s not just the big chain cinemas who show the ballet and opera, our local cinema does as well and they are very well attended

Living so far from London it makes culture affordable , esp as they do concessions. Plus you get the best seat in the house:)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    oops, I forgot to respond to the kind people who suggested ways of seeing various shows etc. Thank you for that, I live a long way from any big town but it is certainly a distinct possibility via an overnight coach trip in the future. All that is on the back burner for now, got to see if I move first
  • Savannah02K
    Options
    Hello, just read through this topic and wanted to say 'thanks' to everyone who's posted. I took early retirement from work in Jan last year and this year will probably be the first one I'll have to dip into my savings for everyday living costs. So this thread will be invaluable. I only get a small company pension and I'm one of those 1950s women who won't now get state pension until I'm 66.

Have just taken out the Radio Times subscription offer (£1 for 12 issues), have done it before, just need to remember to diary to cancel the second direct debit for the full subscription. Re clothes shopping, I'm going back to something I did a few years ago. I then had literally about 5 wardrobes worth of clothes (I admit, I did love my clothes shopping) and being of the generation that found it hard to ditch stuff because 'it has hardly any wear', I came up with the idea of a 'uniform.' I sorted out 7 outfits for myself and wore them week in, week out. Eventually, they either got so washed out or I got sick to death of them, that I found it easy to let them go. I don't have as many clothes now but still far too many. Am off to work out the first 7 outfits!
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for the info re watching ballet at the cinema. I wasn't aware that happened. I have watched shows/musicals at the cinema before (Billy Elliott, which was live and The Railway Children, a pre-recording of a live show).

The tickets for the Royal Opera House were £20 each, admittedly we were sat in the balcony, but not right at the very back and the seats were 'good enough' to watch the performance.

I have been grocery shopping and I don't want to hear from my 2 teens this week that 'there's nothing in'. Listening to a comment on the radio last week about treats for children, someone said as a kid they had a 'treat box' and though I never did, I do remember school boarding school books being full of them, so today I've divided up the chocolate treats between DH, DS and DD and it's up to them when they eat them, but once gone they aren't being replaced until the next shopping trip.
  • emg
    emg Posts: 1,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This a great thread and I have been reading it for inspiration and motivation. I'm trying to overpay my mortgage and keep my spending down this year so its all been really helpful.

Spendless - I noticed you saying about the end of discounted rail travel when your children are too old but just wanted to check you knew about the Two Together railcard. Its not such good savings as the family railcard but if you mostly travel with the same person (as you do have to name the second person on the card) then it can be worth it to get 1/3 off fares.
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    Spendless wrote: »

I have been grocery shopping and I don't want to hear from my 2 teens this week that 'there's nothing in'. Listening to a comment on the radio last week about treats for children, someone said as a kid they had a 'treat box' and though I never did, I do remember school boarding school books being full of them, so today I've divided up the chocolate treats between DH, DS and DD and it's up to them when they eat them, but once gone they aren't being replaced until the next shopping trip.

I hope you have better luck doing that then I did trying the tuck box, almost caused war in this house with the lads just stealing off each other, in saying it didn't take a lot to start a war during there teenager years.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure