PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Seville orange ideas please - not marmalade!

Options
My hubby bought Seville oranges by mistake - a mistake we discovered when trying to eat one!

There are now 3 left and despite searching the internet I can't find anything to do with just 3 that doesn't involve making marmalade- I can't do this as I don't have any jars.

I want something easy to do which will use them up. We have now got clementines too so I could include them

Anybody got any ideas please?

Comments

• Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Options
    You could try slicing them thinly and crystallizing them and then adding them to cakes.
  • Kyria
    Kyria Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Nigella Lawson's Bitter Orange Ice Cream? It's absolutely lovely!

(The recipe is on her website)
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,526 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • smeeth
    smeeth Posts: 578 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    orange cake, orange biscuits, Aïgua de Valencia, orange chocolates?, orange nougat, orange wine, orange beer..

there are so many different things you can do with Sevilla oranges!
    Anchor yourself to the foundations of everything you love.

Thank you to all those who post competitions!:beer:
  • ocemeer
    ocemeer Posts: 414 Forumite
    Options
    orange curd is another good recipe, though the flavour is really delicate. (plus you could freeze the grated rind and juice required so you can have it later in the year).
    I am having a Seville Orange glut problem (I live where they grow on the trees so they are there in abundance not being used), have made Orange Marmalade, Orange curd, Oxford Marmalade, got the bitter orange ice cream to make today and will probably make some candied peel this week but am running out of ideas/recipes. So if anyone has more ideas would really welcome them too.
  • Grimbal
    Grimbal Posts: 2,334 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    "Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it" Einstein 1951
  • ocemeer
    Options
    Kyria - my OH says the ice cream tastes fantastic so thankyou, and the Gin is starting its three year stew tonight so thanyou too Grimbal :)
  • Redcurrant
    Options
    Perhaps a St Clements cordial recipe, which is oranges and lemons. The acidity of the oranges should work well with the sugar that is necessary to preserve it.
    It is good as a dressing or marinade for the stronger or fattier meats, like duck, goose, guinea fowl, or perhaps even offal.
    Think about where you might use something acidic like lemons, then consider the Seville as an alternative.
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    at this time of year I often substitute Seville oranges for lemons in recipes (sometimes you then need a little less sugar)
  • ocemeer
    Options
    I am thinking an seville Ornage drizzle cake base on your advice jackyann. And the cordial sounds a great idea so will get on to that too. Trying to round up some more glass jars as have seen a ornage adn apricot chutney on w@itros3 recipes too.

If I get time (and patience) it will be made into candied peel, hoping to make a sorbet tonight with some as well.

(any ideas on mandarins as well would be good - they have alot of pips but taste gorgeouss and the juice is heavenly)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure