Found water under the house, only got the house keys less than a week ago.

Options

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    HappyMJ wrote: »
    The OP could look at this as a bonus. All that free water. Pump it into a tank in the attic and it'll reduce metered water bills by £2+ per cubic metre. Just remember to only drink from the tap in the kitchen which should be the only tap connected directly to the mains.

That's okay as long as you don't mind using water that mice and rats have died in.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    That's okay as long as you don't mind using water that mice and rats have died in.
    Don't mind flushing the toilet with it and using it in the garden.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    HappyMJ wrote: »
    Don't mind flushing the toilet with it and using it in the garden.

Do any houses have the water system arranged like that - so that the water from the tank only goes to the toilets?
  • Green_box
    Options
    keystone wrote: »
    It's ground water!

Cheers

This is my line of work and in my experience you need to look at all of the evidence before jumping in. To date you only have the council's word that groundwater is the issue based on the fact that other properties in the area have that problem. It could still be a leaking water main, or even a damaged land drain.

This being a money saving site, it would be sensible to make sure that it is your problem to deal with before you fork out hundreds of pounds on a pump.

I would not be fobbed off by the council and insist that they come and check the water. If it is groudwater you have lost nothing. if it is something else you may avoid having to pay out.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    The previous owner need only have declared it if he actually knew about it and he was actually asked.

You can sue anyone for anything. But the important question is would you win.

Well it appears he did know and neighbour is prepared to make a statement to that effect .............and don't solicitors send out an endless questionaire about the property to the vendor and one of the questions asks about defects -if he said there was no defect he was aware of-the OP surely has the basis for action against him ?
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • verityboo
    verityboo Posts: 1,017 Forumite
    Options
    Green_box wrote: »
    This is my line of work and in my experience you need to look at all of the evidence before jumping in. To date you only have the council's word that groundwater is the issue based on the fact that other properties in the area have that problem. It could still be a leaking water main, or even a damaged land drain.

This being a money saving site, it would be sensible to make sure that it is your problem to deal with before you fork out hundreds of pounds on a pump.

I would not be fobbed off by the council and insist that they come and check the water. If it is groudwater you have lost nothing. if it is something else you may avoid having to pay out.

I second this advise

If they will not check it properly then you can check whether its ground water or a leaking water main by testing the water with a cheap chlorine test kit which only cost a few pounds. If there is chlorine in the water its likely to be a leaking water main
  • wakhtar
    Options
    previous vendor poped over to collect his post which i kindly gave to him and also questioned him about the ground water. he stated he wasnt aware of any issues been living at the property for the last 14 years never once has there been any water problem !!! so water of ducks back for him!!!

anyway i have called 7 trent around and they have taken some water samples to test what the water is? likely results in 8 days time.....wait and see but im beginning to go with the advice of living with it for now.

thanks
    Thanks

Waheed
  • zaax
    zaax Posts: 1,910 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Its a well and it might be pottable (drinkable) and you can draw quite a lot before you need a licence.
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
  • Green_box
    Options
    wakhtar wrote: »

anyway i have called 7 trent around and they have taken some water samples to test what the water is? likely results in 8 days time.....wait and see but im beginning to go with the advice of living with it for now.

thanks

Have you heard anything back from them yet?
  • Fred_Michael
    Options
    You can legally ask the home owner to repair the damage,you are entitled for it but you cannot legally challenge the sale of the house and as nothin was mentioned in the partnership deed.The previous home owner would say that he told you everything.You would become helpless.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure