PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

help to buy scheme

Options
im currently serving in the army, and i read in a magazine about some help to buy scheme, i only have to pay 5% deposit and the government help with 20% of the mortgage.
my question is that if i go through with this scheme i wont need to move in personally as i am based at my barracks, so would i be able to rent the house out from day 1 or is there some sort of clause that prevents people doing this?

Comments

• mimiduck
    Options
    You cannot rent a property if it is under help to buy. Not at least under a tenancy agreement unless you want to offer something to a friend.
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    mimiduck wrote: »
    You cannot rent a property if it is under help to buy. Not at least under a tenancy agreement unless you want to offer something to a friend.

There are exceptions to this I believe, one of them being if you are serving abroad in the armed forces. This obviously doesn't help the OP though.
  • panky888
    Options
    so what does this mean...
    West London apartments from £225,000 with rental yields up to 5.8%.
    that sentence was a headline on a help to buy company website
    apologies for my naive reply, i have no idea about mortgages etc. lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family