Options
2»

Comments

• J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,444 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    fatbeetle wrote: »
    My builder/sparky has agreed to move the fuse board to a spare bedroom, is there any advantage in keeping the meter with the fuses?

Our meter is outside and the fuseboard in the utility at the opposite side of the house.
  • JC_Derby
    JC_Derby Posts: 806 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Should be a sub main....protected by a fused switch from the meter to the consumer unit.
  • fatbeetle
    fatbeetle Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Paid the nice people at Western electric the £780 they need to move my meter a metre!
    “If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and who weren't so lazy.”
  • CashStrapped
    CashStrapped Posts: 1,294 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Paid the nice people at Western electric the £780 they need to move my meter a metre!

Sounds about correct. They may not have a set fee, but they certainly have a minimum fee, and the minimum fee is extortionate.

Anything slightly complicated and I would expect it to go up exponentially.

I had the opportunity once to have a flat connected to the gas mains. Because the housing association was doing the whole complex at the same time it was offered at a cost of only £400. So I got it connected, even though I had no plans in the immediate (or long term) future to get gas installed. I only did it because if I ever explored it in the future on my own, I am pretty sure it would cost £1000s
  • fatbeetle
    Options
    Cheers CS!
    “If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and who weren't so lazy.”
  • JC_Derby
    JC_Derby Posts: 806 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    they aren't just moving the meter though. Cutting your service cable outside, jointing through and reterminating into a new cut out a new meter box and providing you with an isolating switch to reconnect your tails into.
  • MeterMan
    MeterMan Posts: 433 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    JC_Derby wrote: »
    they aren't just moving the meter though. Cutting your service cable outside, jointing through and reterminating into a new cut out a new meter box and providing you with an isolating switch to reconnect your tails into.

DNOs dont usually reconnect the electric meter, or my DNO doesn't at least. Metering and Isolator work is carried out by the supplier, free of charge from my employer.
  • fatbeetle
    Options
    Well all done and dusted on the meter move, all very efficiently done, with minimum fuss. We will now contact EDF and ask them nicely to change the meter to a "smart meter".

At present we have no power apart from 2 x 4 plug extension leads, as the house is being rewired.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure