Redundant - can they make us do new jobs ?

Options
Hi,

There are seven people at my level in the company, each with a different job and different job description.

Management want to restructure and create three new jobs which between them will likely include all the elements of the existing seven jobs. Four of us will be required to take redundancy.

It is pretty clear that a number of the seven (including me) are very happy to take the redundancy deal and clear off, however, it would appear that management want to get rid of some people who want to stay, and keep a few people who want to leave.

Presumably they will have to put all seven of us at risk, and then invite us to apply for one or more of the new positions. Is this correct ?

If at least three people apply for the three new jobs, and I do not apply for any, can management reject those who do apply and force me to do one of the new jobs ?

I hope this is a simple question with a simple answer but I suspect that it isn't.

Thanks for reading.

B

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    All they have to do is offer you suitable alternative employment, if you reject it you do not get redundancy.

The company is free to set the criteria for the new roles, thereby they can choose who gets each job based simply upon their own criteria.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure