Private Health Insurance

Options
We were with BUPA previously as an employee benefit, now we have a Ltd company we want to take out private health insurance.

Had quotes from Saga, Vitality and Bupa.

Does anyone have any experience of the above or recommend another company?

Comments

• csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    get a whole of the market broker who can match what you want to the provider.

I used one recently, but they are quite expensive and they increase the premiums every year, you could potentially double the premium once you reach 70.

Rather spend the money saved on more life/income protection tbh
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would be more inclined to focus on life assurance and permanent health insurance. PMI is all very well and nice but it is way down the pecking order in terms of things you should have.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    Accepting that you do want to take out private medical insurance then being told to take out a different type of insurance is probably not all that helpful, is it? While life assurance and permanent health insurance may be worth getting too, they do something completely different to what you want!

If I was searching for opinions on different fridges that I was considering purchasing and someone popped up suggesting that really I'd be better of buying an oven I wouldn't find that particularly helpful.

Bupa are good, but I can't comment on the others, and the level of cover is also pretty important. You need to compare these and make a decision based on the cost/benefit of each.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    Accepting that you do want to take out private medical insurance then being told to take out a different type of insurance is probably not all that helpful, is it? While life assurance and permanent health insurance may be worth getting too, they do something completely different to what you want!

If I was searching for opinions on different fridges that I was considering purchasing and someone popped up suggesting that really I'd be better of buying an oven I wouldn't find that particularly helpful.

Bupa are good, but I can't comment on the others, and the level of cover is also pretty important. You need to compare these and make a decision based on the cost/benefit of each.

While having all of the above is nice, if you can afford it, it's important to ensure the OP is presented with all options as well.

If you got lots of money or work benefits good for you, not all of us have that luxury and Medical insurance is not cheap
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    csgohan4 wrote: »
    While having all of the above is nice, if you can afford it, it's important to ensure the OP is presented with all options as well.

If you got lots of money or work benefits good for you, not all of us have that luxury and Medical insurance is not cheap

Sorry, but your answer wasn't helpful. If you had asked if they had also considered other types of insurance that would be fine, but you didn't, and neither did dunstonh. Instead, you both told them that the they shouldn't bother with the insurance they wanted because you don't consider it to be that worthwhile and should buy something completely different instead.

Don't make assumptions about how much money I have, or what employee benefits I may have.
  • happyandcontented
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses.

We are also considering other types of insurance which we had as a matter of course during our days of employment! Now, we can offset the payments against tax in our Ltd company so we will be taking out life cover, but the PMI is wanted as we have personal experiences of friends using the NHS for life-limiting conditions and let's say they left much to be desired.

We are healthy and financially comfortable, but no one knows what is around the next corner.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I have heard decent reports of AXA who might be worth adding to your list to investigate.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • YHM
    YHM Posts: 650 Forumite
    Options
    As above, you need to find a good broker that could assist with finding appropriate insurances that can be put through your business
    I am a Mortgage Broker.

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice
  • mgcs
    Options
    My wife and I have both been with BUPA for several decades and always been happy with their service.
    Not cheap, but they are easy to deal with - and do not try to weasel-out of valid claims - providing you stay within their procedures.
    Discounts available if you are a member of certain organisations - but v hard to find out which ones they are...
    Not had experience of others, but bear in mind that they are (almost?) all profit-earning, not Mutuals/Providents like BUPA.
    Hope this helps.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport