PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

sensible affordability?

Options

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,646 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    On a net of £9K pm you surely cannot be worrying about a mortgage of £1.5K pm?
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Higher income = higher spending.
    Are you and your wife spenders or savers ?
    What part of the country do you live in ?
    You are on the right track MSE is the best website to start.
    Are you saving £2/3K a month
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Options
    mp80 wrote: »

We earn 185k between us, which equates to about 9k per month net once deductions, childcare contributions, etc are taken out.
    So even after your mortgage you'd have 7.5k a month :eek:
    Unless you've got a horrendous coke addiction I think you'll be fine.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    So even after your mortgage you'd have 7.5k a month :eek:
    Unless you've got a horrendous coke addiction I think you'll be fine.

Well.. the guy might be thinking forward towards the cost of private schooling.

OP, consider how much disposable income you've got at the moment. Would you be fine with £800 less a month?
  • mp80
    mp80 Posts: 208 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks all for the replies. Ringo you are correct, I'm thinking 5+ years down the line, where circumstances may well be very different (high interest rates, maybe jobs different, etc) but I think we are going to try and move forward as nobody really knows and I guess you can't spend your life worrying what might be. We live in the NW and with this income we have a very comfortable lifestyle right now.

I'm personally extraordinarily risk averse when it comes to taking any sort of very long term debt where as the OH has the attitude of trying to push on as quickly as possible, which I can understand as we're probably at peak earning so won't get a better chance.
  • mp80
    Options
    TBagpuss wrote: »

If you're unsure, why not start overpaying your current mortgage by £1,000 a month (or put that amount into savings, if over payment is not an option on your current deal) for a few months to get a feel for what your budget will feeel like after the move?

That's quite a good idea, I think we're limited on overpayments as we're on one of those low interest rate fixed deals but worth looking into.

I'll be honest I don't really look at my balance, I know we can afford just about anything we buy without having to forensically balance the books. I'm quite disciplined though and only buy things that would be deemed 'non essential' after a period of time cooling-off to determine if I really do want it! Years ago I would have bought anything, and be skint a week after payday :cool:
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Do a SOA and work out where you are wasting money money.

With £9k pm with a tiny £600pm on accommodation you should have oodles of cash.

Might be you are just wasting more than you think if £1,500pm is a problem/worry.

as above the trial run by putting aside the money now while you think about it will be the test.

work out what the new place will cost to run and make sure you are covering not just the mortgage but the bills.
    I would aim for £2,500(less your current costs) and see how it goes,

end of the day it is just prioritizing your £9kpm if you have been spending it all then those priorities need to change if you want the bigger house.

Ask yourself where £108k has gone between Aug 2016 and July 2017 when less than £8k went on the mortgage?
  • Lizbragg33
    Lizbragg33 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    We pay £1450 on our mortgage and take home pay is around £4700 so I think you can easily afford to do it.
    We were in a similar position to you last year paying a £400 a month mortgage but needed more space. I think it's the jump in monthly payments that scared us, an extra 1k a month but we are managing just fine and absolutely love our new house :-)
    I'd say go for it.
  • mp80
    Options

Ask yourself where £108k has gone between Aug 2016 and July 2017 when less than £8k went on the mortgage?

Accruing savings, and also unfortunately paying off a 30k loan my wife had from her parents from years ago.

I still think you're right though, We buy £200 jeans, not £50 ones, etc. That will need to stop, definitely. Just the new house wasn't a priority at the time.
  • Marine_life
    Marine_life Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Me?

I would sit tight and put the money to early retirement ;-)
    Money won't buy you happiness....but I have never been in a situation where more money made things worse!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure