Price for sockets in house

Options

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 30 November 2017 at 8:40AM
    Options
    Yep - it's a bodge I'm referring to:(.

Surveyor didnt say house needed rewiring (not the slightest hint from him about it). Electrician I had in for extra work I wanted didnt say place needed rewiring and just added extra sockets/changed fusebox to consumer unit and I thought that was "it".

Now found out that both of them let me down and place should have been completely rewired (it does help if one is told these things!!:cool:) and I think I'm going to have to have some wiring behind some sockets replaced now:mad::mad::mad:. Hence trying to figure out my "worst case analysis" of cost in case...though I've got fingers crossed NIC/EIC will sort this for me (as I chose an electrician from their list).

So trying to figure out my worst case analysis in case I have to pay for this myself.

Thanks anyway folks. Looks like I'm not going to be able to get much of an idea - oh well....I'll mentally set to one side £1,000:mad: and hope that (if I'm the one who has to pay for bodging) that that will cover it.

EDIT; I know so little about electrics (being a householder) that I'm reading another current thread with astonishment at finding one needs higher voltage type cable if having range cooker instead of ordinary cooker - I wouldnt have had the foggiest idea about that. I just thought it was "old cooker out - new cooker in" and electrician to connect existing wire....
  • Witless
    Witless Posts: 728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It is possible all the wires to some existing sockets may have to be ripped out and replaced - as it may be the case they are unsafe. Yep...maybe even right through to channelling out some of my walls:eek: to get the wires in/out.

May be unsafe or is unsafe? Don't forget that wiring standards change by editions / amendments: that doesn't mean wiring that meets previous requirements is unsafe.

New? Or additional?

Why? Are you really saying the wires are plastered into the walls without conduit? If the wires are in conduit then new wires can be pulled through.

Loads of estimate sites around; this is one - https://local.which.co.uk/advice/cost-price-information-electricians
    Options
    Would wires put into a 1970s house by a "bad" builder (as I'm told he was) have been put into conduit?

We are talking external walls (and not internal plasterboard walls).
  • Witless
    Witless Posts: 728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Would wires put into a 1970s house by a "bad" builder (as I'm told he was) have been put into conduit?

We are talking external walls (and not internal plasterboard walls).

Piece of string question.

If the walls were 'tracked' - possibly. If a 'cheapie' job possibly run loose down the cavity (I presume there is one). Not ideal BTW.

Either way I would expect they can be pulled.

Did you specify conduit to be used? Or to be wired to a specific standard? For example 16th Edition 3rd amendment? (the 'standard' in 2000 AFAIK).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BS_7671 details the latest requirements.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We’ve just three single point changed to double, two of them with USB. £146.21.

North Wales - there might have been a former teacher discount in that, though.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How do you know the house needs rewired?
    Options
    I've been told this latterly by a tradesperson.

By now (long story later) and I can see it would have been best if it had been totally rewired when I bought it (if only I'd been told that by "Homebuyers Survey" or initial electrician).

The way things are now though - which is that some rewiring has been done and it's how much of the gap to bridge between where it's currently at and the full rewire I would have had done if I'd known.

I've had an internet friend explaining to me now just how these sockets were probably set up and exactly what needs to be done to sort things in them to more modern standards and he's told me he reckons it's down to 10 minutes per socket.

So, with that, I think it looks like I need an electrician in for around 2 hours and I know exactly what to tell them to do (in their own technical language) now:)

So - my likely costs are:
    - 2 hours of an electricians time
    - small amount on necessary materials to do what internet friend has explained to me.

So I think I now have a (very rough guesstimate) of the ballpark figure I'm looking at now:
    2 hours of electricians time = say £100? Absolute max = £200 (to allow for a minimum charge thing if I have to)
    Small amount of materials = cant think that would be more than £100 surely?

So - I'm hazarding guess at somewheres between £200 - £300.
  • pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,961 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's tricky for someone here to guess a price when you are just guessing at the work needing done.
    I would suggest getting a Periodic Inspection Report / Electrical Installation Condition Report.
    This will cost but it will tell you what needs to be done and when (e.g. danger present, potentially dangerous, improvement recommended.
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A generic "tradesperson" telling you that you NEED electrical work doesn't mean anything.

Does everything work?
  • Risteard
    Risteard Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    glasgowdan wrote: »
    A generic "tradesperson" telling you that you NEED electrical work doesn't mean anything.

Does everything work?

Just because everything might appear to function correctly does not mean that it is safe or correct. Electrical installations, even if installed perfectly, do not last forever either.
    RECI & Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills