PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Previous owner knocked a wall down without permission - what now?

Options
Notnow
Notnow Posts: 41 Forumite
edited 16 March 2017 at 8:29PM in House buying, renting & selling
I bought a flat last year but never really liked it so have put it up for sale and accepted an offer. I have just read in the leasehold pack that I have apparently knocked down a wall without permission and need to contact them about it.

I haven't knocked down any wall and when I bought the place only about 9 months ago the pack said nothing about a wall being knocked down. I can easily prove I didn't knock it down because the listing is still visible online through the link I have saved and I have the brochure from when I moved in which shows there was no wall ever there.

I will contact them about this first thing in the morning but any ideas for now on what could happen here?

It's an internal wall, just a stud one that used to separate two rooms and now there's just one big room.

Comments

• eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Notnow wrote: »
    I have just read in the leasehold pack that I have apparently knocked down a wall without permission and need to contact them about it.

Out of interest - how does the freeholder know that a wall has been removed? Have they inspected the property?

Anyway, as you're are the leaseholder, it is your responsibility if a wall has been removed without freeholder's consent (even if it was done before you owned the flat).

When you bought the flat, the onus was on you to check the lease plan - which presumably showed a wall.

Also, the seller should have filled in a TA7 Leasehold Information Form, which asks:
    9.1 Is the seller aware of any alterations having been made to the property since the lease was originally granted?
    9.2 Please give details of these alterations:
    9.3 Was the landlord’s consent for the alterations obtained?

If the seller gave misleading answers to these questions, you could consider claiming damages from them.
  • Notnow
    edited 16 March 2017 at 9:07PM
    Options
    I don't know why they think a wall was removed. I can only think they saw photos of the place for sale but if so then why didn't they do that when I bought the place? I did once email them asking about putting a wall up but not in the same place as they're saying one has been removed. I never had a reply so maybe they're assuming I just went ahead and did the work without permission?

There were no plans showing walls, only one showing the external boundries. The seller got several things wrong on the forms but they clearly ticked that they had made no alterations.
  • eddddy
    Options
    I don't know why they think a wall was removed. I can only think they saw photos of the place for sale but if so then why didn't they do that when I bought the place?

There were no plans showing walls, only one showing the external boundries.

So ask them for evidence that a wall existed when the lease was granted.

(If there was a wall, it's still possible that consent was granted to remove it. But if you don't have a copy of the consent, and the freeholder won't volunteer a copy of the consent, you're pretty stuck.)
  • Notnow
    edited 16 March 2017 at 9:17PM
    Options
    I think the whole thing might be a mix up over when I asked about putting a wall up. I had an email saying they had passed my enquiry on but never heard anything else so I just forgot it. Maybe it's coming up on a file that an enquiry about walls is open and that's what this is all about.

I did have all the searches done, everything was checked and even the freeholder themselves checked it and said nothing about a wall when I bought it. They haven't been in the place since which is why I'm so confused now :-/

I don't even know if a wall has been knocked down yet.
  • Hoploz
    Hoploz Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    Options
    I'm confused - your first post said the freeholder thinks a wall has been removed. But now you aren't sure if they are talking about one you asked about building.
    What exactly did the letter from the freeholder say?
  • Notnow
    Options
    It's all been sorted. It turns out that a wall has been removed but permission wasn't needed as it was only a stud wall.

I pointed out that I have only been here a few months so if they try and charge me anything I'll want to know why I wasn't told this when I bought the place. I think that may have convinced them to drop it otherwise they'd be opening a can of worms for themselves and having to compensate me for missing it when I moved in.
  • eddddy
    Options
    It's all been sorted. It turns out that a wall has been removed but permission wasn't needed as it was only a stud wall.

It's good that it's sorted, but you've got the following bit completely the wrong way round...
    I pointed out that I have only been here a few months so if they try and charge me anything I'll want to know why I wasn't told this when I bought the place. I think that may have convinced them to drop it otherwise they'd be opening a can of worms for themselves and having to compensate me for missing it when I moved in.

If the flat had been altered without getting the appropriate consent from the freeholder, it is your problem - not the freeholder's.

It doesn't matter when the alterations were made, or by whom, it's still your problem.

But since no consent was required in this case, it seems you're ok.
  • Atomix
    Atomix Posts: 346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would get something in writing -
    Just for future peace of mind.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income