Moving off VLS 80 for a long-term plan

Options
collingbone614
collingbone614 Posts: 180 Forumite
edited 23 April 2015 at 10:30PM in Savings & investments
I have a Vanguard LifeStrategy 80 but it's worrying me. This is my general investment situation:

I'm investing about £450 per month. My timeline is 25 years minimum. Currently have a small fry portfolio valued at just under £8k, entirely in the VLS 80, within a NISA. It matches my risk profile and it is up 11% since I started putting money in ten months ago. I have a small amount of cash stacked aside so that I can buy more when the markets tank. My long-term plan is to invest more of my salary as it (hopefully) increases over the years. I plan to 'lifestyle' the investments so that more goes into bonds, over time.

Here's what's bothering me about the VLS.

1. My investment is not split as much as I'd like between more funds. Let me explain. A number of years ago I was saving for a mortgage deposit using a cash ISA account with a bank called Kaupthing Edge. This was one of the Icelandic ones which of course went belly-up during the financial meltdown. I managed to get my dosh out in time before the whole thing became even more messy - not sure if others did get all their dosh back - but the experience has spooked me.

It obviously didn't spook me enough to factor this into my fund-selection decision, however, and I should've known something like this might bother me later down the line.

This has led me to belatedly research the fund protection available on UK-domiciled funds, and I have seen that you get £50k per fund provider, under the relevant circumstances.

2. I have also read recently in one of Bowlhead99's posts that there are possibly some tax implications to owning the VLS80, even when held in a NISA. Although the impression I have is that the amounts under discussion would be low, I am unfortunately the type of person who finds this bothersome.

What I think is that I should divide up my funds between providers so that in the (albeit extremely) unlikely event that my funds go under, I will be safer.

To solve this problem I'm thinking of doing this:

(a) Use a VLS 100 and a global gov bond fund. Then eventually introduce a limited few extras, as below.

(b) Or use the Fidelity Global Acc, an emerging tracker, and a global gov bond fund.

The second of the two options would be cheaper. So it appeals to me.

Ultimately, over the long-term, when there is more money in the portfolio, I will want to bring in a few limited extras: an inflation-linked gov bond fund and a limited amount of P2P cash (<5% of the whole thing), maybe a property fund.

So, over the very long-term, my portfolio could look like this:

Fidelity Global Tracker
55%
Emerging market fund
10%
World gov bond fund
10%
World gov bond fund inflation-linked
10%
P2P cash
5%
Property fund
10%

Whereas if I stick with my VLS80%, my long-term solution would look like this, which is meant to reflect the same equity-to-bond-to-cash-to-P2P ratios as above, but not sure if I've got it right:

VLS 80
75%
10%
P2P cash
5%
Property fund
10%

There is a certain train of thought that says 'if Vanguard ever went under, the last thing you'd be worrying about would be your investments, because the four horsemen of the apocalypse would be riding past your door'. And it's also true that it would take me nearly 10 years before I even have £50k of money invested in the VLS, if all I did was put my money in that, at my current monthly purchase amount.

What are your thoughts please?

Comments

• masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,416 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It seems you are wanting to carve up your VLS holding into smaller chunks for emotional reasons, since as you say you will remain under the FSCS compensation limit for quite some time to come. So, the question is, how much less worried would you be if 55% of your portfolio were held in a single fund vs 75%? Personally, I don't think I'd see those scenarios as particularly different.

So, I don't think there is much to choose between the options on a counterparty risk basis. However, option a or b would make lifestyling easier and give you the option to perhaps avoid buying Government debt at a time when it is looking pretty unattractive.
  • BLB53
    BLB53 Posts: 1,583 Forumite
    Options
    The VLS80 is a great choice - low cost, automatic rebalancing, globally diverse. Whats more, its a really simple and straight forward proposition.

FWIW, I would stop fretting, don't over-complicate, keep it simple and just carry on with your current arrangements long term.
  • noggin1980
    noggin1980 Posts: 419 Forumite
    Options
    The chance you losing all your money in a vanguard fund is much much less likely than a bank going bust and you losing your money.

Vanguard is owned by the Vanguard funds not the other way around, The way I understand it is if Vanguard went bust then the funds would have to find someone else to do what Vanguard does, it wouldn't put your money at risk (though it might make accessing it difficult for a bit) the only way a vanguard fund goes bust is basically for the economy to collapse to such an extent that the fund is worthless anyway and at that point it's irrelevant anyway.
  • noggin1980
    noggin1980 Posts: 419 Forumite
    edited 23 April 2015 at 9:50PM
    Options
    I think the most realistic scenario for losing your money would be if you had a few hundred k in an isa at your broker, you sell your funds so it becomes cash in the isa, your broker would be keeping this money at other banks, if one of these banks goes bust and more than 85k of your money is in that bank you'd lose money.

In which case having more than one broker is probably more important than having more than one fund provider but I'm not totally sure on that, I wouldn't be worrying about it with 50k though anyway especially when any risk is minuscule compared to the chance of losing half your money to a major crash or something.
  • collingbone614
    Options
    masonic wrote: »
    It seems you are wanting to carve up your VLS holding into smaller chunks for emotional reasons, since as you say you will remain under the FSCS compensation limit for quite some time to come. So, the question is, how much less worried would you be if 55% of your portfolio were held in a single fund vs 75%? Personally, I don't think I'd see those scenarios as particularly different.

So, I don't think there is much to choose between the options on a counterparty risk basis. However, option a or b would make lifestyling easier and give you the option to perhaps avoid buying Government debt at a time when it is looking pretty unattractive.

Good points. On the matter of government debt looking unattractive - I have noticed this and despite being someone who is broadly an indexer, and is accordingly not meant to care, the idea of side-stepping it for a few years is attractive.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 24 April 2015 at 7:46AM
    Options
    As you mentioned my name I thought I'd comment :)
    I have a Vanguard LifeStrategy 80 but it's worrying me. This is my general investment situation:

I'm investing about £450 per month. My timeline is 25 years minimum. Currently have a small fry portfolio valued at just under £8k, entirely in the VLS 80, within a NISA. It matches my risk profile
    There is nothing wrong with any of that. You have a fund which you have self-assessed as being suitable for the risks you want to be exposed to, and you don't have much in it, and at that pace you won't have a 'lot' in it (in terms of your potential overall lifetime wealth, in the grand scheme of things), for a number of years.
    and it is up 11% since I started putting money in ten months ago.
    This is irrelevant to any advice you could receive, as the returns from VLS80 for the last 3-4 years are public information, as are the histories of each of the underlying markets which it tracks, for the last 20-30 years or so. What days you chose to invest will determine your returns but they are not relevant to its current suitability as an investment vehicle.
    I have a small amount of cash stacked aside so that I can buy more when the markets tank.
    OK, so you are not 80% equities 20% bonds you are (say) 64% equities 16% bonds 20% cash, depending on your definition of 'small amount of cash stacked aside' compared to the value of the £8k portfolio; that would be guessing £2k cash on the side, and presuming it is really 'spare' and not needed for living your life so you could throw it into investments as and when, but are choosing not to for now.
    My long-term plan is to invest more of my salary as it (hopefully) increases over the years.
    Makes sense because when you are old, what you will compare your assets to is your then current salary and not some old figure for your salary that you used to earn in 2015.
    I plan to 'lifestyle' the investments so that more goes into bonds, over time.
    Makes sense, if you have a fixed objective in mind and specifically need to protect your assets from crashes as you approach it.

In your situation with 25 years to go, a non-equities allocation much higher than the current 20 cash and 16% bonds leaving under two thirds of your portfolio in equities, might seem excessively cautious. However, it would suit some people and could be fine.
    1. My investment is not split as much as I'd like between more funds. Let me explain. A number of years ago I was saving for a mortgage deposit using a cash ISA account with a bank called Kaupthing Edge. This was one of the Icelandic ones which of course went belly-up during the financial meltdown. I managed to get my dosh out in time before the whole thing became even more messy - not sure if others did get all their dosh back - but the experience has spooked me.
    In that case do not save/invest more than the FSCS limits with one institution, next time. At the moment you are nowhere near the limit for compensation due to fraud etc. Splitting an £8k portfolio into multiple separate fund investments seems more of a headache than is necessary.
    It obviously didn't spook me enough to factor this into my fund-selection decision, however, and I should've known something like this might bother me later down the line.
    If it genuinely bothers you and you can't get comfortable with it, change it until you can. Five £2k pots each with protection up to £50k does not seem much safer than one £10k pot with protection up to £50k.
    This has led me to belatedly research the fund protection available on UK-domiciled funds, and I have seen that you get £50k per fund provider, under the relevant circumstances.
    Yes. So you could consider that, in a decade's time, when you have £50k per fund provider.
    2. I have also read recently in one of Bowlhead99's posts that there are possibly some tax implications to owning the VLS80, even when held in a NISA. Although the impression I have is that the amounts under discussion would be low, I am unfortunately the type of person who finds this bothersome.
    OK. Work out what it 'costs' on £8k versus the alternatives while interest rates are low as hell. It is not a lot.
    What I think is that I should divide up my funds between providers so that in the (albeit extremely) unlikely event that my funds go under, I will be safer.
    That is one approach. If you reduce one risk imperceptibly, you will be imperceptibly safer overall. I can't tell you that you should not bother, because then you would hate me if you followed my suggestion and then something went wrong. But I personally wouldn't bother.
    (a) Use a VLS 100 and a global gov bond fund.
    So, instead of holding most of your portfolio in a set of global largecap equities and a variety of global corporate bonds, global government bonds, and index-linked government bonds, you would instead hold most of your portfolio in a set of global largecap equities and then one simple global government bond fund, with no allocation to investment-grade or higher-yielding corporate bonds or index linked bonds? Interesting choice, if a bit of a gamble.
    Then eventually introduce a limited few extras, as below.

(b) Or use the Fidelity Global Acc, an emerging tracker, and a global gov bond fund.
    Personally I prefer to limit exposure to particular markets and therefore if tracking the world, I'd prefer the fund to hold multiple regional holdings rather than be a simple global equities tracker. But I haven't actually looked at how Fidelity do it in that fund.

I also feel that if you are investing into a dedicated emerging markets fund, a tracker is a less-appropriate strategy for those markets. This is because of the inherent lower-developed status of such markets and the lack of transparency and public information and 'perfect market', which can then give active managers with their own research teams an edge in some market conditions.

And as noted above a global gov bonds fund is the lowest yielding type of fund that you can get (compared to corporate bond funds for example) so it seems extreme to have one fund be 100% equities, another 100% emerging equities, and one gov bonds with nothing in between.
    The second of the two options would be cheaper. So it appeals to me.
    There is more to life than what you pay for your solution. There is how good the solution is.
    Ultimately, over the long-term, when there is more money in the portfolio, I will want to bring in a few limited extras: an inflation-linked gov bond fund and a limited amount of P2P cash (<5% of the whole thing), maybe a property fund.
    So you are getting rid of a VLS fund that has corporate bonds and inflation linked gov bonds now, to instead sit in a rather more restricted portfolio without those things for a while, so over the long term you can add some of them back again? That seems strange.

And if you want p2p you could perhaps consider adding that from your existing cash holdings which are currently sitting on the sideline. Higher risk though, so each to their own.
    So, over the very long-term, my portfolio could look like this:

Fidelity Global Tracker
    55%
    Emerging market fund
    10%
    World gov bond fund
    10%
    10%
    P2P cash
    5%
    Property fund
    10%
    So, a portfolio with similar attributes to a mixed asset fund, but excluding corporate bonds for some reason.

You already have a mixed asset fund, although it doesn't hold direct property. The L&G Multi-index 6 fund (other numbers are available for different volatility levels) might fit the bill if property is something you would like in your portfolio.

Of the above, only p2p lending is not available within traditional mixed asset funds. Do you want the 5% to be p2p lending, or would you prefer the 5% to be cash?. There is no such thing as "p2p cash". You either have cash or you have an investment in p2p borrowing.
    Whereas if I stick with my VLS80%, my long-term solution would look like this, which is meant to reflect the same equity-to-bond-to-cash-to-P2P ratios as above, but not sure if I've got it right:

VLS 80
    75%
    10%
    P2P cash
    5%
    Property fund
    10%
    VLS already includes inflation linked bonds as a category within its 20% bonds. Why do you want multiply your allocation to them specifically, by five to ten times over? Just curious whether that particular type of bond is really going to be so awesome for you over the longer term that it should be more than 10% of your total 25% bonds?

Hopefully you realise that index linked government bonds -whether held directly or via funds -, unlike national savings index linked bonds, do not promise to give a return exceeding inflation. The market's expectation of what will happen to inflation rates is already baked into the price of the bonds.
    There is a certain train of thought that says 'if Vanguard ever went under, the last thing you'd be worrying about would be your investments, because the four horsemen of the apocalypse would be riding past your door'. And it's also true that it would take me nearly 10 years before I even have £50k of money invested in the VLS, if all I did was put my money in that, at my current monthly purchase amount.
    It is your god-given right to worry about things that might never happen, so although I am fortunate enough to be earning a good wage and able to replace a certain amount of investment loss out of new income, I would not criticise someone who worries about their investments to the extent that they want to bail out.

However, fear can make people do irrational things so I would look to enquire why you think it is better to have £5k FSCS-covered investment with manager A in sector X and £5k FSCS-covered investment with manager B in sector Y, instead of £10k in a mixed-asset FSCS-covered investment with manager C.

The tax bit about UK multi-asset funds above does not seem a massive issue, so if you are just spreading money around to avoid counterparty risk, some would think you OTT. You are after all only investing a third of your ISA allowance each year, while some have millions in such vehicles.
  • AlanP_2
    AlanP_2 Posts: 3,256 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't want to derail the thread so could somebody point me to the original post from Bowlhead99 about the tax issue with VLS type funds please?

Thanks
  • AndyT678
    AndyT678 Posts: 757 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    AlanP wrote: »
    I don't want to derail the thread so could somebody point me to the original post from Bowlhead99 about the tax issue with VLS type funds please?

Thanks

Sorry don't know where the Bowlhead post is but is this maybe the info you want? I lifted it from a Telegraph article but I've seen the same principle explained elsewhere too.

"Stocks and share Isas can also mean you pay less income tax on share dividends, though they are not tax-free. This is because Isa investors can no longer claim back the 10pc tax credit on dividends. This is deducted at source, so for basic-rate taxpayers the income tax paid is the same as if this was a "non-Isa" fund.
    There is some advantage for higher-rate taxpayers, though: provided these shares (or a fund paying an income from share dividends) is held within an Isa they don't have an additional tax to pay on this income, as there would be if this investment was held outside an Isa."
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,214 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    AndyT678 wrote: »
    Sorry don't know where the Bowlhead post is but is this maybe the info you want? I lifted it from a Telegraph article but I've seen the same principle explained elsewhere too.

"Stocks and share Isas can also mean you pay less income tax on share dividends, though they are not tax-free. This is because Isa investors can no longer claim back the 10pc tax credit on dividends. This is deducted at source, so for basic-rate taxpayers the income tax paid is the same as if this was a "non-Isa" fund.
    There is some advantage for higher-rate taxpayers, though: provided these shares (or a fund paying an income from share dividends) is held within an Isa they don't have an additional tax to pay on this income, as there would be if this investment was held outside an Isa."

This happened nearly 20 years ago and isnt the issue being referred to. The problem arises in ISAs and SIPPs because funds that return "interest" such as pure bond funds get the 20% income tax deducted at source returned whereas funds that pay dividends cant as they werent taxed in the first place. The higher % Vanguard funds are regarded as paying "dividends" rather than "interest" and so dont get any tax rebate although some of the income does come from bond interest. Whereas if you held separate bond and equity funds of the same total composition the bond fund would get tax repaid.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    AlanP wrote: »

Thanks

Posts 8 to 11 on this thread.

[url]Http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5222793[/url]

Essentially if you are holding a debt fund (which pays interest distributions)in an ISA, or an equities fund (which pays dividend distributions) in an ISA, you will end up getting pretty much all the income stream which was paid out from the underlying investments, paid out gross in your hand.

If you instead have a mixed fund which receives both interest and dividends but pays it all out as dividends, the fund itself may suffer from leakage in the form of a tax bill, depending on the actual amounts and domiciles /tax residencies of the entities involved.

So, even though you get to keep all the money that the fund paid you, it is not all the money that could have been available from the underlying investees, because of the tax leak which is essentially just another operating cost to the fund.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure