PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Wednesday 26th November 2014

Options
nmlc
nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 26 November 2014 at 7:12AM in Old style MoneySaving
O/S Daily Wednesday 26th November 2014

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or slow internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Some people who chat here like to try to answer everyone. Don’t feel you have to though, a general “hi everyone, hope everyone’s well” is fine

Morning everyone

Birthday wishes to those celebrating a birthday, hope you have a great day x

Hugs and get well wishes to those that want/need them.

Still dark, but is wet underfoot and still raining – I heard the rain hitting the windows at 1.40am and it’s still raining.

DH up and gone to work stupid early. DS1 up and getting ready to go to work.

Dinner last night was pie, mash, veg and gravy. It was a bit of a mix up – as I’d got 2 individual pies I’d left for the boys at the weekend that they hadn’t eaten but they needed using up and a f** b***** pie in a tin that needed using up which we’d had in the caravan but not used so shared the pies out between them. I also had a frozen ready roast meal in the freezer that had been left for the boys whilst we’d been away so I cooked and had that for my dinner. I know that if I hadn’t moved the menu plan around to accommodate these changes some of that food would have been thrown away – so pleased I was able to use it up instead. Tonight will be the frozen roast joint that I had bought to cook on Sunday had we got back and wanted something to eat. I’ll do roasties, mash, Yorkshires, veg and gravy with it.

Today I want to get my xmas cake made and cooked, the fruit has been soaking in alcohol for a couple of days so smells delish – I want to get the cake made today, the fruit then soaking for my xmas puds which I’ll make tomorrow.
Today I’ll get the xmas cake made and in the oven, weigh and soak the next load of fruit, then crack on with the housework, washing, drying and ironing that needs to be done.

Went to the local MrT yesterday to talk to them about a new handset for DS2 as his is on its last legs and he’s having a new one for xmas. I’d got the latest load of vouchers etc and got him a new handset and paid for most of it by doubling up in the vouchers boost so only had to pay £39 towards it – result. So now very little xmas shopping left to do – just money/voucher for outlaws and nephew. I still need to buy extra bits for my boys but everyone else is done, bought the cards and wrapping paper yesterday so I’m good to get wrapping, which I may well do at some point this week, so it’s done as it’s always the thing that gets left then I’m in a panic trying to get it done at last minute.

I also managed to get a nail appointment made yesterday after getting back from MrT’s for later on yesterday afternoon, so have now got nails looking so much better again – makes me feel better too! Just had enough time to peel the pan of potatoes before I went to nail appointment so I wouldn’t have to do it when I got in and spoil nails!

Take care x

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB

Comments

• camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,007 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning All

Damp, a bit foggy and chilly this morning but no frost. I know because I have a little furry house guest who needed walking this morning! It is the dog of my work colleague who died last week. I offered to help in any way I could and was asked to look after their little dog whilst the funeral, etc takes place. He is a Westie and as good as gold.

I am off to an outdoor centre with some of the children from school today till Friday but DD is off today and tomorrow so he will only be on his own for a short while on Friday morning. I am not coming back for the funeral, we were offered (some other members of staff could come up to look after the children) but think it's best if the children have some continuity and enjoy their special time as best they can.

I have my bag packed and DD will be dropping me at work for 9.

DW emptied and washing fairly up to date. Could do with throwing the cleaner round but not sure how the dog will be.

Had salmon and stir fry veg last night and made sweet and sour sauce for DD.

Hope you are all well, hugs for anyone in need. Take care. XX
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,033 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning everyone.

Really really foggy here, quite nasty actually, worst I've seen for ages. Had a difficult drive to work, however I am here, safe and warm with my first cuppa of the day.

Got my lunch all organised again, what a difference it makes. It even means that I don't need much for an evening meal so it's all a help.

No idea what the day is holding for me, got some technical sheets to get out which means concentration and focus... here's hoping then!

Hope everyone is doing well.

Happy Wednesday.
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Morning :hello:[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I spent yesterday morning going from room to room (and back again, many times) filling small boxes with things that didn't belong. I've put the boxes in the right rooms but haven't put all the things away yet. I was interrupted by a phone call from our tree surgeon friend asking if we wanted some wood chippings for the chicken run. He delivered them half an hour later – a tipper truck full! The drive is full and overflowing, I had to dig out a path so we can walk from the front door onto the road :D I'll have to start shifting it today, the wheelbarrows and builders buckets are lined up ready :D[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I googled for invoice/receipt templates but couldn't find any I liked so I made my own, just need to print them out now. I have a list of crochet patterns I want to try out, I'll start working my way through them this afternoon.[/FONT]
    :beer:
    Bulletproof
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Options
    Morning all
    Off to work in a sec, I filled my car up with petrol after work yesterday and took some meals round to my daughter. She's not very well & her husband is working extra hours at the moment, so I thought I save her a bit of cooking.
    I slept when I got home until it was time to collect hubby & then went to bed & slept through until this morning. Jacket potato & avocado for lunch today, I need to get my energy back soon, DD needs me when she has surgery.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • snoozer
    snoozer Posts: 3,586 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi everyone,

The days are going very fast now I'm working for 3 and a half of them - I'm trying not to panic about my lack of Christmas shopping.

I seem to have got the grocery budget under control at last and I'm still not buying meat or fish, however, the freezer is only emptying very slowly. I think we'll have Somerset Bean stew and cheesy mash tonight, which will reduce the freezer by a bag of beans. I try to buy dried beans, cook the whole bag and freeze them in portions - 250g seems to be about the amount in a tin.

Have a good day.
  • carolbee
    carolbee Posts: 1,709 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning all

Back from a fab seven weeks in Australia with family, now back to OS to save for the next trip!

The upside of emptying the fridge and freezer is that I can start from scratch and only buy what we need, trying to eat bit more healthily too, so no goodies bought at present. Was up at 2am so had plenty of time to meal plan and do shopping list before alldees opened!!

Have been trying to catch up, so hugs, commiserations, condolences and congratulations where needed

It's good to be back
    Carolbee
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all,

Just to let you know we let little dog go yesterday, OH was at home with her during the day and she was doing really well. The vet phoned mid afternoon to give us her blood test results and told us that she was very poorly indeed that her liver was failing.

She then started to be sick again and when I got home from work we decided that enough was enough and we phoned the vet who came out.

It was very peaceful and we held her right to the end, she is still with us at home and OH is going to did a hole for her now.

We are all heartbroken she was the best dog we could have hoped for.

I thought I would let you know as you have all been so kind xx
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    redruby I'm so sorry about Little Dog :sad:

I'm glad the vet came out and she was at home with you at the end xx
    Bulletproof
  • Such sad news REDRUBY but you put little dogs best interests before your own and that's as good as you can be as a pet owner. I hope that given some time to get used to her absence your memories of her will be all the happiest ones and these dark few weeks will fade into oblivion. Hugs to you all and happy thoughts for when you're ready for them, Lyn xxx.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 November 2014 at 4:33PM
    Options
    So sad to hear about Little Dog Redruby. You did your best for her and she was so loved.

I was going to post a picture of one of my girls today. My son took it yesterday but i'll leave it for another day.

Much love xxx

Morning all,

had to peel myself out of bed this morning. I'm fighting the black cloud that's hanging over me. Messaged three kisses to my eldest son the weekend and although my message was read he hasn't got back to me. I guess he's having problems with the girlfriend and after she totally overreacted to a message he sent me a couple of weeks ago I guess he's scared to speak to me now. I was hoping that this was the woman for him but it seems like she's as batty as the rest of the women hes had relationships with.

I'm in and on my own today. Another chance to blast my music.:)

Jobs for today:

[strike]Vacuum downstairs[/strike]
    [strike]Bathroom[/strike]
    [strike]Vacuum upstairs[/strike]
    [strike]Vacuum stairs[/strike]
    [strike]Kitchen floor[/strike]
    [strike]Vacuum tumble dryer[/strike]
    [strike]Empty and clean vacuum cleaners[/strike]

I should be able to complete my list and then I can start on tea. Not sure what we are having yet.

Onwards and forwards,

have a great day all.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family