Halifax Switch

Options
I switched my account from Halifax to RBS and all went ok, direct debits are coming out of my new account.

Randomly I got an email from the DVLA email advising me that they have received instruction from my bank to cancel my direct debit (last taken 1st March). I then go into my eBay to list an item and notice my direct debit has also been cancelled with them (last taken 7th March).

Does anyone know the process banks follow when switching? I assume this isn’t the norm and it’s a bank error?

Cheers

Comments

• radoslaff
    radoslaff Posts: 168 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This is actually the norm. The DDs and SSs with the old bank get cancelled and new DDs and SSs get set up with the new one. You may even receive some papers to fill in regarding the new DDs but you may also not. This is not straight forward.
    The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.
  • wizzywig27
    wizzywig27 Posts: 1,536 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    radoslaff wrote: »
    This is actually the norm. The DDs and SSs with the old bank get cancelled and new DDs and SSs get set up with the new one. You may even receive some papers to fill in regarding the new DDs but you may also not. This is not straight forward.

I've been looking into this since my post, and I dont think this is the norm at all, otherwise why arrange the switch through your bank (apart from any incentive of course).

It cant be the norm to set up my direct debit with my new bank, then contact the 3rd party company and ask them to cancel that direct debit? Surely this is all done under the same process/procedure?

I have logged this with Halifax who have advised its not their error (it must be because the direct debit is still active with RBS). I will wait for them to come back to me. It is funny as the switch guarantee states if there is an error (there is an obvious error here as the direct debits have been cancelled) I will be refunded any charges or interest etc.
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    wizzywig27 wrote: »
    I've been looking into this since my post, and I dont think this is the norm at all, otherwise why arrange the switch through your bank (apart from any incentive of course).

It cant be the norm to set up my direct debit with my new bank, then contact the 3rd party company and ask them to cancel that direct debit? Surely this is all done under the same process/procedure?

I have logged this with Halifax who have advised its not their error (it must be because the direct debit is still active with RBS). I will wait for them to come back to me. It is funny as the switch guarantee states if there is an error (there is an obvious error here as the direct debits have been cancelled) I will be refunded any charges or interest etc.

Go back to the Halifax and get them to refund the charges/interest. This is what is covered under the switch guarantee, don't let them fob you off, you may need to speak to a manager and not just the cashiers/help and advice.

Either by phone or branch, the DD should be switched by CASS, and appear on your Halifax account and removed from your RBS. You may or may not get a reply from the company notifying you that your bank details have been updated.

Please let us know how you get on.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • northwalesd
    northwalesd Posts: 1,173 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Westie983 wrote: »
    Go back to the Halifax and get them to refund the charges/interest. This is what is covered under the switch guarantee, don't let them fob you off, you may need to speak to a manager and not just the cashiers/help and advice.

Either by phone or branch, the DD should be switched by CASS, and appear on your Halifax account and removed from your RBS. You may or may not get a reply from the company notifying you that your bank details have been updated.

Please let us know how you get on.

Westie983

I'm confused now (it doesn't take much) I thought the new account was with RBS, not Halifax :huh:
    wizzywig27 wrote: »
    I switched my account from Halifax to RBS and all went ok
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family