PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017

Options
misstara
misstara Posts: 3,880 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
edited 19 January 2017 at 12:48PM in Old style MoneySaving
Time for a new thread for 2017 :D

I loved reading about what everyone was getting up on the 2016 thread and hope that you will join me again in 2017.

With everything else that was going on in the later half of 2016, MMMing went a bit by the wayside but now that me and OH are settled into the new flat, I plan to get properly back into it. So here's to another year of making do, mending and minimising :D

The 2016 thread can be found here
And Cheerfulness' original 2015 thread is here

Recipes
Mincemeat flapjack
Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10552.61/£15000 (70.4% saved). Emergency fund - £1428.98/£1500 (95.3% saved).

Comments

• *Jellie*
    *Jellie* Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Happy new year!
    I tend to lurk here a lot but I'll try and post more this year. I am in the middle of making an art journal from recycled materials rather than buying one (make do).
    2019 fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • Aril
    Aril Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I too am very much a lurker. I have started to make a wallhanging from bits of fabric and lace I've either taken from other garments or bought very cheaply from jumble sales or the charity shop.
    Happy New Year.
    Arilx
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
  • dND
    dND Posts: 655 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Happy New Year Everyone. :wave:

Well, I'm still stuck in France and still have loads of de-cluttering to do but I have decided that 2017 will be the year :D.

MMM-ing is fun as well and stretches the imagination too! I was trying to use up a small piece of pork that I couldn't re-freeze and spotted a can of Heineken lurking at the bottom of the fridge. A pulled pork type of dish sprung to mind so I slow cooked the pork in it.
    NEVER use Heineken to cook pork:eek:
    So how to rescue the pork? A rummage in the freezer turned up 3 bags (???) of spinach so a pork saag idea came to mind. Pork shredded and a lot of spinach added there was still the problem of covering the beer taste. Another rummage in the cupboard produced a pack of guacamole spices (that also needed using up). The result was a super meal that I will be repeating but without the Heineken. :rotfl:

So onwards and upwards and may we all have a very happy and healthy MMM-ing year. :beer::beer::beer:
    Deborah xxx
    2023 DECLUTTERING CAMPAIGN 1🏅+ 4 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
    2024 DECLUTTERING CAMPAIGN 🏅💐⭐️
    2024 FASHION ON THE RATION 9/66coupons
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    dND now that's what I call never giving up on a disaster :):):) well done on your perseverance :)
    MMM is definitely the way to go in this New Year.I will finally be back at my own home tomorrow and have listed all the fruit and veg I want /need then I will be only using what I already have in store this coming month if I can My freezer and cupboards are well stocked and I shall be doing my best to use evrything up that I can before buying anything else.Food shopping bills will hopefully be low and by the end of January I am hoping my cupboards will be emptier and my purse fuller Seems a good way to go for me :):):)
    Happy New Year everyone May all your wishes come true in 2017

Cheers chums
    JackieO xx
  • hollysnan
    hollysnan Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    Happy New Year everyone,
    I started to post here in Aug then got very sick.
    I am now on the mend so would like to join you again.
    I have been reading off and on.
    The sun is out here at the moment but its still very cold.
    Nothing planned for today, just a day of rest.

I have a few things planned to make and mend.
  • Teejay
    Teejay Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    Stalked this board last year. So going to put my head above the parapit this year......So I can get some timely prods, when I get stuck. So many peeps on here that think outside of the box. Just wht I need.
    2017- No Clutter to be Seen Total 59/2017
  • nannygladys
    nannygladys Posts: 3,075 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone

I will make do with the food I have in
    I will mend some trousers and a jumper
    I will minimise the amount of time spent thinking of what I've got to do!!!
    Nannyg
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, bathroom cabinet, roller blind - kitchen

• osbornbiscuit
    Options
    Ok, this is the new me sticking my head above the parapet and joining a forum instead of just lurking. I need to get my act in gear and stop relying on overdrafts and credit cards. Please bear with me if I make mistakes as this is all new to me. I have only just joined facebook and still not sure what I am doing there. By the way the pineapple cake recipe was gorgeous. My mum used to make it when she was alive and never passed the recipe on. I have a lot to minimise, a freezer to make do and a son who has just decided to be a vegetarian when I have a freezer full of meat. Roll on 2017
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,880 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Happy new year everyone!

Lovely to see some new faces and familiar ones :D

Good on you dND for saving the pork, glad it was an edible meal in the end :)

Last night I did roast gammon for tea so sliced the leftovers up today. Took gammon and tomato sandwiches to work for lunch and have put some aside to go into a pie for tea tomorrow.

Walked to and from work today so hopefully that will be the start of minimising me! I've put on a bit of weight in the last 4 months so plan to get rid of it over the next wee while. I'm going to take my running gear with me to work tomorrow and then run home after work. I hope to do this 2-3 times a week.

There's nowhere close to the new flat (that I've found so far anyway) to recycle paper, glass, etc so took a bag with me when I was walking to work and went in past one of the supermarket to put in the facilities there.

We need to do a proper sort out of all our kitchen stuff, don't quite know why we've got so much but the kitchen here is far smaller than the previous one so we will be putting quite a bit to the CS.
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10552.61/£15000 (70.4% saved). Emergency fund - £1428.98/£1500 (95.3% saved).
  • amber03
    amber03 Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Love this thread, will be popping in and getting tips. So far I will make do with the food I have in freezer, fridge and cupboards. Sometimes cringe when I see how much I have hoarded. Mend anything that is broken, this is how my parents were and now I can see why. Minimise my spending especially on rubbish.x
    :j Debtfree and and staying that way.:j3-6 month emergency fund, No.61 £140.00
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure