Tesco Credit Card

Options
I've just been in contact Tesco Bank to discuss my concerns about contactless transactions and request a chip and pin only card. I was told that I can't have one! The bank made the decision to offer cards with both features on them.
Thanks Tesco for removing my right to choose how I protect my account :mad:

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Apply for a card with a company that offers chip and pin only.

Not that many will now
  • Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You control the card!

Chose to insert the card into the machine rather than tap it.

Spend more than £30 eachtime and you cannot tap it.

If you are concerned about transactions not authorised by you then make sure you know where the card is at all times.
    3.795 kWp Solar PV System. Capital of the Wolds

• robpw2
    robpw2 Posts: 14,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was going to say if your concerned about people using the contactless then leave the card at home and only take it out when you want to use it

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
  • Yorkshire_Pud
    Options
    Aveleydave wrote: »
    I've just been in contact Tesco Bank to discuss my concerns about contactless transactions and request a chip and pin only card. I was told that I can't have one! The bank made the decision to offer cards with both features on them.
    Thanks Tesco for removing my right to choose how I protect my account :mad:

I don't think you have a right to choose how you protect your account with a specific bank.
    You have a right to place your business where you choose though;)

I'm happy with contactless and the safeguards offered by the banks but then nothing has gone wrong so far.
  • john1002
    john1002 Posts: 984 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Or go and use Apple Pay. No issues.

John
  • Aveleydave
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input on this subject. I use this card quite frequently so as to collect Clubcard points. The issue I was raising was that of the data grabbing devices that can steal card information whilst it is even in your pocket.
  • amfan
    amfan Posts: 108 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    You could always buy a contact less proof card holder. A quick Google suggests they're only a couple of pounds.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Aveleydave wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your input on this subject. I use this card quite frequently so as to collect Clubcard points. The issue I was raising was that of the data grabbing devices that can steal card information whilst it is even in your pocket.

Well if that's your only issue then you don't need to worry because people skimming your card and using the information to make a payment is a myth.

There is no way they can get enough information from the card to make a purchase. Even if they did use a read to take payments from people as they walked past they would soon be caught once every transaction on their account is reported as fraudulent.
  • tastyhog
    tastyhog Posts: 847 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    meh, if there is a fraudulent contactless transaction it will be refunded immediately, just like with a fraudulent direct debit etc.

the bank / card issuer will shoulder 100% of the liability for contactless payments
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure