Looking ahead.. Ryanair next summer

Options

Comments

• bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    richardw wrote: »
    It's quite sensible that if pilots don't want to work for an airline 1 minute more than they have to, to get the required hours before they move on, then they'll always be a high risk of cancellations.

Pilots don't grow on trees. This is debacle is going to continue.

Pilots might grow on trees, they are just very expensive and slow growing trees.
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    Options
    What's that then?

http://corporate.ryanair.com/about-us/ryanair-pilots/
    They were LHR slot sitters, nowt to do with pilot resources.

I dont think those affected by the cancellation of Kos, Montpellier or Biarritz will care the reason
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 October 2017 at 1:53PM
    Options
    I don't care they are cheap I just don't want the extra hassle of cancellations. I don't buy cheap unreliable products because they are cheaper..........he can poke it.
  • stephb34
    stephb34 Posts: 2,064 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Put it in the context of other products you buy ie cars, computers, washing machines, phones. Do you buy the cheapest on the market or do you pay a bit more for reliability. Cheapest isn't always the answer. How upset and cross will you be if your summer holiday is cancelled because you can't afford to buy new flights or get the availability because Ryanair have pulled them.
    You have to weigh up what would upset you the most, paying cheap and cancelled or paying a bit more but your cross you paid more because the flight doesn't get cancelled.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,639 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    http://corporate.ryanair.com/about-us/ryanair-pilots/

I dont think those affected by the cancellation of Kos, Montpellier or Biarritz will care the reason

The big difference it the timescales BA have dropped these routes and have informed their customers a long way in advance, so very few will have already booked these flights and for those few there is plenty of time to find alternatives.

RA on the other hand have dropped many people in the proverbial with little notice, giving them the option of abandoning or buying very expensive alternatives. Personally I won't touch RA with a very long bargepole.
  • lea2012
    lea2012 Posts: 733 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We've just booked with Ryanair for next July as we've used them for years with no issues. It's a chance I'm willing to take, I too am tied to certain holiday periods and if we do get a flight cancellation I would be upset but to date they've only cancelled 2% of their flights, lots of other airlines cancel flights too so it's a risk with anyone!
    Lea :confused:
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    Options
    What's your back up plan lea2012 if they cancel your flight back to the UK?

What will you do if they initially attempt to deny your re-routing right?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    edited 9 October 2017 at 11:59AM
    Options
    lea2012 wrote: »
    We've just booked with Ryanair for next July as we've used them for years with no issues. It's a chance I'm willing to take, I too am tied to certain holiday periods and if we do get a flight cancellation I would be upset but to date they've only cancelled 2% of their flights, lots of other airlines cancel flights too so it's a risk with anyone!

Whats the % of RA and others then?
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Op, no, for a family summer holiday I would not book with Ryanair, it's just not worth the risk of having a much looked-forward to holiday fall to pieces and 9 months of wondering will they/won't they cancel our flight. No amount of £'s saved is worth that.

For a short notice, short trip that I could take or leave, maybe, if they were the only people flying to a destination.

For business trips where I have to be somewhere on a specific date and be able to get home again, no way Jose.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    sillygoose wrote: »
    I have never had much hankering to fly Ryanair but I am seeing some pretty good fares next summer for places I want to go.

But their recent screw ups make me nervous, what if it goes wrong next summer and they end up with not enough pilots for the flights they sold and start cancelling? - your left with accommodation going to waste and no way to get there!

Now I know this could be the case with any airline, one year Monarch cancelled a route several months after I thought I was safely booked to travel on it.

But obviously Ryanair have a pretty ropey track record now, but it would be suicidal for them to mess up a summer season as well.

For me its weighing up the perceived 'risk' versus paying about 20% more for a more regular service like Thomas Cook.

I am not so worried about financial loss, that's would be protected by the credit card, more the risk of being let down and sat at home watching the rain run down the window!

Anyone have any thoughts?

Really ?
    They've cancelled a tiny percentage of their flights which won't affect the remaining 131 MILLION other passengers who'll fly with them this year.
    And next year they're offering flights at prices you're very interested in ?
    You can do one of two things - ignore the Ryanair begrudgers who are often people caught out because they're too stupid to follow simple instructions and terms and conditions on the Ryanair website or book the flights.
    But less of this cobblers about Ryanair having a ropey reputation.
    They have an excellent reputation as a cheap,on-time airline flying you to destinations throughout Europe.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure