Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

charities for help with vet bills?

Options

Comments

• foreign_correspondent
    Options
    Some rspca centes also offer neutering vouchers - contact your local one to find out. Howver, if you are short on cash I woud strongly recommend getting your pet insured, or at least registering with your local PDSA and putting away some funds just in case.
  • grandcru52
    grandcru52 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    Originally posted by Hethmar:
    And peoples circumstances can change, particularly in the current economic climate. Someone may find that what was easy to find the money for becomes a lot more difficult if redundancy strikes

Money raised by charities is entirely by voluntary means. In the current economic climate people are less likely to donate to animal charities..... who help if they can, but with greater demand from a smaller pot. Ultimately, pet care is the responsibility of the owner
  • Yogibear
    Yogibear Posts: 459 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 May 2009 at 11:51AM
    Options
    Jamla wrote: »
    with costs as they are its to expensive to keep pets these days. a friend cat had cancer on ear and had to have them cut off, £ 380 it cost, another friend cat had cancer in mouth they paid out over £1000 and now will have to have put done. if you love your animal you will find the money, don't let them suffer mean owners
    well said we got our cat from cat rescue 5 years ago we took her as nobody wanted her as she was ten,okay she had problems with using the litter tray but we got round that then she became ill last year thyroid/heart/kidney we didnt hesitate to pay the bill we have a small income,it was just under £900 and tabs for the rest of her life £300 every six months,she took ill again in April and we were faced with the prospect of more tests and swithered but were helped by the vet a lovely guy who said if she was his cat we should put her to sleep,we got her ashes in a wee casket and now is in the garden where she used to look over,I`m choking up typing this,if you love your pets you will pay for them no matter what!!

we didnt have her insured as she was to old when we got her
    please do not pick on me for my grammar,I left school at fifteen and worked in the building trade for 55years ,

Chalk and slate csc:D
  • grandcru52
    grandcru52 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    Yogibear wrote: »
    well said we got our cat from cat rescue 5 years ago we took her as nobody wanted her as she was ten,okay she had problems with using the litter tray but we got round that then she became ill last year thyroid/heart/kidney we didnt hesitate to pay the bill we have a small income,it was just under £900 and tabs for the rest of her life £300 every six months,she took ill again in April and we were faced with the prospect of more tests and swithered but were helped by the vet a lovely guy who said if she was his cat we should put her to sleep,we got her ashes in a wee casket and now is in the garden where she used to look over,I`m choking up typing this,if you love your pets you will pay for them no matter what!!

we didnt have her insured as she was to old when we got her

What a wonderful home she had Yogibear and well done for taking on an older cat.
    In the future, should you feel able to give a chance to another 'golden oldie', some Cat Rescues offer a 'pension plan' (veterinary treatment for age-related problems) for elderly cats adopted from them.
  • Naughtynat
    Naughtynat Posts: 195 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My local RSPCA clinic has closed down leaving me with having to find the money for my 11 year old dogs Metacam. It is really expensive from any normal vets plus the consultation fee is huge. The PDSA in my area has closed its books.....I really dont know what to do now.
    Competition wins in 2009 - Nothing so far :confused:
  • bimbo82
    bimbo82 Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,
    My mother in law's sausage dog has been diagnosed with back disc disease. The major problem is that she is on every benefit you can think of. Although her dog is insured she is quite possibly on the worst insurance i have ever heard. It only covers 85% per treatment of up toe £3k. The dog has had some injections & a CT scan and that alone has come to £1100, he is now having to be rushed into London tonight/tomorrow morning to have major surgery which is going to cover at least another £2200 and I just don't know how she is going to pay for any of this & we don't have the money.
    The other major factor to this is that my father in law passed away in December & her dog is the only thing that has pulled her through - she in the past has tried to take her own life & if she was to lose him too I am almost 100% positive that she would take her own life. The dog is only 5 yrs old. We live in Bedfordshire & is wondering is anyone can help or give me advice to where I turn to for help - I must also add she is 72 years old.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

x
    :confused:Murphy's No more Pie's Club - Member No. 182 & very proud :confused:
  • rev_henry
    rev_henry Posts: 4,959 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bimbo82 wrote: »
    Hi,
    My mother in law's sausage dog has been diagnosed with back disc disease. The major problem is that she is on every benefit you can think of. Although her dog is insured she is quite possibly on the worst insurance i have ever heard. It only covers 85% per treatment of up toe £3k. The dog has had some injections & a CT scan and that alone has come to £1100, he is now having to be rushed into London tonight/tomorrow morning to have major surgery which is going to cover at least another £2200 and I just don't know how she is going to pay for any of this & we don't have the money.
    The other major factor to this is that my father in law passed away in December & her dog is the only thing that has pulled her through - she in the past has tried to take her own life & if she was to lose him too I am almost 100% positive that she would take her own life. The dog is only 5 yrs old. We live in Bedfordshire & is wondering is anyone can help or give me advice to where I turn to for help - I must also add she is 72 years old.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

x
    If she's on every benefit you could think of she should be eligible for the PDSA petaid scheme.
  • bimbo82
    bimbo82 Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    rev_henry wrote: »
    If she's on every benefit you could think of she should be eligible for the PDSA petaid scheme.

But she is already having the treatment done by her vet as this type of disease can not be left for more that 24hrs otherwise the dog will be totally paralysed. So the PDSA is too late as don't we have to take the dog there?
    :confused:Murphy's No more Pie's Club - Member No. 182 & very proud :confused:
  • LittleMsMandy
    Options
    Hi , i,m not sure as to the radius covered by a fantastic orginisation called the dog aid society as they have schemes to help with vet costs and neutiring ,etc They are based near Edinburgh and are lovely people :0) .Why not try them as i,m sure if they don,t cover all of the UK they might know of someone/somewhere who can help and you could also try the dogpages website forum . Best wishes :0)
    I,ve been here before ;)
  • shelovestobuystuff
    Options
    Vets run certain schemes through the year where they will do some treatments cheaper for everyone so look into these.
    Apart from that though having a pet is an expensive business and you shouldnt expect someone else to pay for it.
    If you know you cant afford treatment if and when the need arises then you should have pet insurance for any large unpredictable expenses.
    "Reaching out to touch the stars dont forget the flowers at your feet".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure