Currys 12month warranty... or 30 days BEWARE.

Options
Hello my first post here so be gentle,
We bought a Humax freeview box less than 90 days ago.
Right from the very first week of using it we had noticed that programmes we'd recorded had failed and then realised the box had started switching its self off and rebooting.
We knew it was new and it would be guaranteed so it wasn't a big issue.
We knew we'd have to return it but as we never really get time to travel to local shopping centres etc but again as we knew it would be gauranteed it wasn't an important issue.
Today we found ourselve with a bit of spare time so we returned the box to our local currys centre.
We produced our receipt etc and explained that the box has an intermittent fault even to the point that it'd recently rebooted three times within one film
.Expecting to receive a new box and to be on way, problem solved...... NOT AS EASY...
It was explained to us that currys don't replace faulty goods but send them off for repair is not the answer we expected.
So thinking that the young assistant had got it wrong.!We asked to speak to the manager... who basically gave us the same reply.!
I said I didn't want it to be repaired as it sounds like it has a serious fault. We are not very happy that the box has to be returned to the manufacturers for repair what with it having an issue while it was still so new.
Thinking about the situation you have put us in I would really like a full refund and ill purchase from a shop that has a better customer service.
This sort of customer service is not what anybody would expect from such a large retailer as yourselves.!
So much for the companys current logo 'For peace of mind were here to help'....... hardly reassuring is it?
Surely If an electrical item is overheating and having to switch itself off this is usually a worrying sign and by simply repairing the item won't necessarily fix the problem.!
It's our fault for not reading the small print but this warranty certainly doesn't help the consumer.
Apparently lots of other stores are starting to implement the same 'customer care' options.
So there we have it no tv untill they decide its faulty.
We were given a leaflet titled
'we want you to live your new product'..... 'we are here to help you if you need us'......... ummmmm

Comments

• mwarby
    mwarby Posts: 2,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Unfortunately I don't think its a particularly new policy, the standard for at least the last 15 years (for consumer electronics at least), is that customer service instore stops as soon as the moneys been handed over and you've got the box/bag, unless of course you want to buy an accessory, or new tv to go with it.....

You could try a written complaint, perhaps worth looking for a template letter relating to the sale of goods act (arguably what you have got is not of merchantable quality\has an inherent fault or not fit for purpose).

The quickest way of resolving this however is likely to contact Humax, who will probably replace the unit by post\courier, probably in less time tjan it will tale currys to respond to your letter fobbing you off
  • chiglee
    Options
    I bought a Samsung ue65ks9000 from Currys in December 2016 that was faulty, it was returned & I received a replacement which also was faulty. a few days later they delivered a replacement tv that was fine until November this year (a vertical line appeared on the screen) I contacted Samsung & they organised a replacement panel which was fitted on Monday 11th December, the new panel is also faulty & Samsung have organised a replacement which is due to be fitted shortly. This will be the 5th replacement.

I think I deserve to be compensated for the stress & inconvenience but I’m unsure as to how much £££ I should settle for?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Lee...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport