Some lorries could be banned from London because of danger to cyclists.

Options

Comments

• brat
    brat Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    Options
    Paradigm wrote: »
    Just a thought...

Who pays for all these modified trucks? Is the Government going to fork out the cost of replacing all the "dangerous" ones or will that be down to the haulier?

I wonder what would happen if transport companies refused & said we'll come as far as the M25 then it's up to you to get the goods into London....

That's not realistic. If a company needs to deliver to central London, they'll make the necessary changes.

The consumer will pay the difference between the extra up front costs and the reduced insurance/NHS bill.

Meanwhile lives will doubtless be saved.
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
  • Paradigm
    Paradigm Posts: 3,613 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    brat wrote: »
    That's not realistic. If a company needs to deliver to central London, they'll make the necessary changes.

The consumer will pay the difference between the extra up front costs and the reduced insurance/NHS bill.

Meanwhile lives will doubtless be saved.

80 grand per truck is a fair whack to absorb but you might be right.
    Always try to be at least half the person your dog thinks you are!
  • brat
    Options
    Are you suggesting that £80,000 is a conversion cost?

Whatever the cost, it is a directive. They have 4 years to upgrade the zero rated vehicles and seven years to upgrade the others to three star rating. The majority of HGVs on the road are less than seven years old, so costs will mostly be absorbed within the normal cycle of vehicle replacement.

These are vehicles which produce killing momentum as soon as they start to move. It is almost beyond belief that manufacturers have until now been allowed to produce vehicles with such view deficiencies for use in busy city centres.
  • pelirocco
    pelirocco Posts: 8,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As an owner of a transport company , that occasionally has to deliver into London we have to comply with FORS to be able to do so , and we have vehicles fitted with all sorts of gadgets to lessen the chance of an incident with a cyclist . Drivers have to do a vunerable road users course and there is even a scheme where drivers cycle round London so they can see what its like . Personally I would like a scheme where cyclist have to drive a lorry round London !!
    With the best will and all the precautions in the world , Cyclists and large vehicles aren't a great mix
    Banning large lorries and only delivering on smaller vehicles outside normal hours would probably improve the situation however the cost of deliveries would shoot up.
    Banning all cars would improve the congestion and give lorries and cyclists more room to avoid each other , that's another solution.
    Banning cyclists would of course solve the whole problem .
    I doubt any of these solutions would please anyone though
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
  • pelirocco
    pelirocco Posts: 8,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    brat wrote: »
    Are you suggesting that £80,000 is a conversion cost?

Whatever the cost, it is a directive. They have 4 years to upgrade the zero rated vehicles and seven years to upgrade the others to three star rating. The majority of HGVs on the road are less than seven years old, so costs will mostly be absorbed within the normal cycle of vehicle replacement.

These are vehicles which produce killing momentum as soon as they start to move. It is almost beyond belief that manufacturers have until now been allowed to produce vehicles with such view deficiencies for use in busy city centres.

Your grasp (or lack of ) of the economics involved is staggering . True lorries because of their size could cause a lot of damage in an accident , but I wonder how many accidents there are involving lorries compared to accidents involving cars there are ? Dont forget that the drivers have to go through extensive training , car drivers considerably less and cyclist have zero training in road awareness
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
  • brat
    Options
    pelirocco wrote: »
    Your grasp (or lack of ) of the economics involved is staggering .
    Maybe so, which is why I asked the question. I'm keen to be enlightened by you, but your comment lacked any further explanation. Don't keep it to yourself... :)
    True lorries because of their size could cause a lot of damage in an accident , but I wonder how many accidents there are involving lorries compared to accidents involving cars there are ?
    Large vehicles are responsible for 4% of mileage in London, yet are involved in 58% of cyclist fatalities. Given that only a very small percentage of cyclist fatalities do not involve other vehicles, it would be reasonable to assume that the other vehicles that do 96% of miles in London are involved in a maximum of 42% of cyclist fatalities
    Dont forget that the drivers have to go through extensive training , car drivers considerably less and cyclist have zero training in road awareness
    This is a very important point which moves the discussion into my professional sphere. YOU mustn't forget the very important fact that LGV drivers have more training, and cyclists may have none.
    Cyclists are not required to have training to be on the road. That is a fact, and while the vast majority of London's cyclists will be drivers of motor vehicles, it is imperative that people like you and your drivers understand that cyclists may not have had training. Motor vehicle users have only a conditional entitlement to use the road. That right is dictated by their competence, their attitude to the use of the road and their attitude to other road users, especially vulnerable road users who have an unconditional right to be on the road.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I doubt any of these solutions would please anyone though

Banning all motor vehicles would "solve the whole problem" too. :p
  • Head_The_Ball
    Head_The_Ball Posts: 4,067 Forumite
    edited 7 October 2016 at 1:07PM
    Options
    ..Dont forget that the drivers have to go through extensive training , car drivers considerably less and cyclist have zero training in road awareness

A minor point perhaps but please note that many cyclists do undergo safety and other training.

Most cyclists are car drivers too. Some are also fully trained and qualified lorry drivers. Perhaps some of your own drivers are also cyclists.

I am a motorist and a cyclist, although I cycle for pleasure and fitness only and I avoid busy roads where possible. I have a reasonably high degree of road awareness.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Would that solve the problem that 23% of pedestrian fatalities involve lorries?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    ska_lover wrote: »
    All that is clear is that cycles / cars /HGV / pedestrians should not try and occupy the same space at the same time and if we find way to separate, then everyone is a winner.
    Not practical.

Cyclists are dicing with death when they cycle on the roads, not because they are not great cyclists or lack of road sense on their part etc, but because they just do not combine with motorised vehicles.
    They're safer on the roads.

No car driver or lorry driver wants to hurt anyone.
    Quite a lot do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport