ThelittleladyandI

Options
First timer seeking organisation, security and a lovely life for my daughter and I.

My husband has recently left, he is a good person, struggling. He is still very present in DD's life and at the moment is contributing financially a lot. His leaving is very very recent. I am heartbroken but need a new focus and some positivity. (I still hold out hope that things will resolve themselves but until then......)

I am 30, work part time, 3 days a week. My daughter is 18 months old, the cheekest monkey, hard work but she is what has kept me going recently! We live in our home with our guard dog haha! Old Labrador, soft dog!

I'm aiming to get finances organised as much as anything. Currently I have no idea how much bills and costs are, when they go out of the accounts, whose name they are in or which account they go out of (joint, mine or his) I want to be able to manage the finances better and pay back outstanding debt!

The debt has accumulated over a few years, just by buying stuff we don't need! It's in the form of two credit cards and also finance agreement for a sofa (not too worried about this as its 0 percent!)

I'm going to start by paying off the sainsburys credit card. It's in my name and I would like to have it at 0 by Christmas. I hope that this is realistic. It stands at £1125.29 eek!

The other thing I'm really keen to do is get an account sorted for emergencys. What if...my husband dint transfer money .....i wouldn't have enough to cover the mortgage...it doesn't bare thinking about! A few months mortgage in a savings account would help me to feel more secure.

I've started off well for August. I'm keeping a spending diary which I will add in next post. Is it just me or do others like to start diets (food or money) on the first of the month, better still the first of the day year!?

Well let's throw this out into the virtual world!

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Welcome you are in the right place. I suppose the first thing to do would be to get your bank accounts sorted to see who pays what , then you can budget accordingly.

Good luck ��
  • JoJoC
    JoJoC Posts: 1,836 Forumite
    Options
    Welcome to the boards! Hopefully you'll learn some helpful things in here (I have learned loads) and you can get some funds behind you for emergencies. Good luck!
    CC1: £4481.14/ £5031.14 (12% paid off, £600) | CC2:£3307/ £3807 (14.4% paid off, £550) | Loan: £10,528.20/ £15,792.30((33% paid off, £5,264))

July debt total: £24,630.44 | New debt total: £18,316.34 | Total debt paid: £6,414.10 (26%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
  • monz
    monz Posts: 4,129 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud! Stoptober Survivor
    Options
    welcome to the group <3
    Debt (1/9/14) £6,702.11 Debt free (30/11/2016) mortgage port- £70,077.82 and mortgage £126,517.39 o/s currently
    Debt - £17,190.83 (29/7/22) now (19/8/22) £16,688.80
  • louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Welcome! I was a single mum for many years and had tons of debt. Finally at 48 I'm much more money savvy!

Good luck
  • BadBookkeeper
    Options
    Hi there, sorry to hear your current situation and I hope you get the resolution you want. As everyone else says sort out what your income and outgoings are. Also check with things like benefits you may be entitled to and reductions on things like council tax. You have a goal you just need the plan to get there! Step by step and day by day. Theres loads of help and support here. Good luck!
    Lightbulb moment - 17/08/2017 £17,033.  Current CC debt £1400 DFD 31/7/24 5 months to go…. 16 weeks 

• swimminginaseaofdebt
    Options
    Hi,

Popping in to wish you lots of luck achieving your goals!

Will follow your progress, I'm also a single mum but to a 14 month old.
    VSPC 2019 #10 - £168.80/£100 VSPC 2020 #4 - £262.03/£200 VSPC 2021 #9 - £242.88/£200 VSPC 2022 #3 - £188.03/£200 VSPC 2023 #7 - £0/£200
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Two excellent plans there. An emergency fund and a spending diary. Write yourself a budget or post an soa here and you have the beginnings of a sound financial plan.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Singlemumwithplans
    Options
    Well that was hard work......how is it possible to make an account forget password and then struggle to login so much that it blocks you for 15 mins because you put the password in wrong too many times! Eek! Anyways I'm in now!

Thank you to everyone who messaged to offer support, I was thrilled when I came back and saw how many people had left messages.

So this is my spending diary as of the first of August

Week 1 -
    Tuesday 1st Aug - £13.38 KFC with a friend (she paid to get the children into soft play so I bought food whilst they napped.)
    Wednesday 2nd Aug - no spend day
    Thursday 3rd Aug - £55.60 Aldi food shop
    Friday 4th Aug - no spend day
    Saturday 5th Aug - no spend day
    Sunday 6th Aug - 30.04 petrol
    4.99 birthday card and cake for a friend
    4.06 snacks
    TOTAL 108.07
    Sold 2 things on gumtree - 15.00

And 3 no spend days :j
  • Singlemumwithplans
    Options
    Week 2 of August

Monday 7th - no spend day
    Tuesday 8th - photo print 40p
    Aldi food shop 25.79
    Wednesday 9th - no spend day
    Thursday 10th - no spend day
    Friday 11th - dinner out with friends £30.00
    Saturday 12th - snacks 4.00
    Amazon order - birthday present for my niece 11.98
    Toy for dd 8.97 (will put away for Xmas)
    Sunday 13th - aldi/morrisons food - 45.03
    TOTAL - 126.17
    Sold a few bits online 15.00
    3 no spend days :j
  • Singlemumwithplans
    Options
    Another thing about me......I love a list!

Monday to do list (oh and then have to be in multiples of 5)
    1. Pay e.on
    2. Take embarrassingly large number of wine bottles to the bottle bank
    3. Fill out forms for tax credit to see if I am eligible for any
    4. Post said forms
    5. Phone telco club card to change address and see how many points
    6. Phone council to sort bill and see about lone person reduction
    7. Put a load of laundry on
    8. Walk doggy
    9. General tidy of the house
    10. Cancel contact lenses

I had a lovely day with dd. It was very chilled out. We just played in the garden and went blackberry picking (hopefully I'll make a pie or crumble tomorrow using these and some apples from the garden)
    Achieved everything on the list yay! Very productive day!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure