Additional Paternity Leave - apparent gap between old and new policies

Options
I've read the government policy on 'additional paternity leave'. A new policy called 'shared parental leave and pay' is due to come in in April 2015. But if you read the government policy there appears to be a gap of a number of months between the old policy being in force and the new one starting. It states:

'You'll only be able to take Additional Paternity Leave before 4 April 2015. You may be eligible for Shared Parental Leave and Pay if your baby is due on or after 5 April 2015.'
(see part 2 of the government website 'paternity pay and leave' area)

Therefore, if say, your baby is born in January 2015, but you did not want to take your additional paternity leave until after 4 April, according to the wording on the government site, the husband is not eligible for anything.

Surely this is a mistake, and they mean 'you'll only be able to take APL if your baby if born before 4 April 2015'??

But this is not what it states - and obviously, i'm really concerned that we get caught out and cannot get any paternity leave due to this changeover in policy.

Has anyone any advice as to what I can do. I've tried calling DWP and go nowhere, other than them noting that i'm correct, there is a gap. I've tried my work and my husbands work, but obivously they both just refer to the governement website....

Help or advice would be gratefully received.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• lakes17
    lakes17 Posts: 283 Forumite
    edited 30 September 2014 at 11:31PM
    Options
    There is no gap between the 2 policies. Under the current policy all paternity leave has to be taken no later than 56 days after the baby was born i.e. born early Jan paternity leave has to be taken no later than end of Feb. If your baby was born late March then you could still take the paternity leave until mid May (up to 56 days after the baby was born) as the d.o.b. would determine what scheme you would you would be eligible to come under.
  • lakes17
    lakes17 Posts: 283 Forumite
    Options
    Apologies, you are right with the number of weeks blondebubbles. But it would still be the case if your baby was born before April 2015 but chose to take leave after that date you would be eligible for the old scheme
  • se1
    se1 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    thanks blondebubbles. Yes, i'm asking about 'additional' paternity leave. Thanks.

lakes17 - keen to know why you think we would be eligible for the old scheme? The policy states - 'You'll only be able to take Additional Paternity Leave before 4 April 2015'? Agree, its logical, but its not what it says??
  • xoAmyox
    xoAmyox Posts: 553 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Could anyone please confirm the difference between the two schemes?

My baby could be born either before or after the April cut off, so it would be very helpful to know if there is much difference?

Thanks in advance
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport