How to reclaim PPI from Abbey National mortgage

Hi,
Id appreciate any help on reclaiming any PPI from an old mortgage I held with the Abbey National back in the 1980's. I have made a claim through a PPI claiming source, but they say I need to supply evidence I had a mortgage with the Abbey National before I can put in a claim. I don't have any evidence now as the mortgage was paid up and closed when I transferred the mortgage to a different company, (the Woolwich). The Woolwich mortgage details can be traced as it now belongs to Barclays.
Does anyone know to whom I write or email, to get this evidence, ie. account number etc. I've been told that because the Abbey was taken over by Santander, a foreign company, that this information is not available. There must be some way of finding it, as I had a mortgage with them for quite a few years, and I believe we had to take out PPI or the mortgage offer would not be made.
Many thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Nearlyold
    Nearlyold Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 25 August 2017 at 2:16PM
    All you can do is ask Santander if they can find your details of the mortgage or spend £10 on an SAR asking for all the information they have on you (which may be none at all after 30 odd years)

Are you sure you had MPPI it was not common in the 80s, I would have thought it was more likely life insurance or a MIG (Mortgage Indemnity Guarantee) compulsory if you didn't have a large enough deposit to put down at the time.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Why would you expect someone to keep your records from thirty years ago?
    Santander, a foreign company

'Dem foreigners, stealing our jobs and our banking records ... ;)
  • Bunny4jeff wrote: »
    I've been told that because the Abbey was taken over by Santander, a foreign company, .
    Many thanks for any advice.
    Santander UK is not actually a foreign company, but anyway, after 30 years . . .
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Id appreciate any help on reclaiming any PPI from an old mortgage I held with the Abbey National back in the 1980's. I have made a claim through a PPI claiming source, but they say I need to supply evidence I had a mortgage with the Abbey National before I can put in a claim. I don't have any evidence now as the mortgage was paid up and closed when I transferred the mortgage to a different company, (the Woolwich).

As MPPI was a late 80s product and didnt really go mainstream until early 90s, are you even sure you had it?

Evidence of mortgage doesnt matter. MPPI never appeared on any mortgage documentation. It was standalone.
    and I believe we had to take out PPI or the mortgage offer would not be made.

Not in the 80s you didnt. You probably needed life assurance and home insurance as a mandatory condition back then. There would likely have been MIG as well if you did not have a large enough deposit.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • We had a mortgage with Abbey National back in 1998 about that time, don't have any details of the mortgage or the correct year when it was taken out. Since 2011 we got devolved etc. Can I still claim, like I said don't have any detail number of account etc.
  • Vectis
    Vectis Posts: 684 Forumite
    jodieD wrote: »
    We had a mortgage with Abbey National back in 1998 about that time, don't have any details of the mortgage or the correct year when it was taken out. Since 2011 we got devolved etc. Can I still claim, like I said don't have any detail number of account etc.

What are you intending to claim for?
  • Joby_Fox
    Joby_Fox Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 30 August 2017 at 10:47AM
    'Are you sure you had MPPI it was not common in the 80s, I would have thought it was more likely life insurance or a MIG (Mortgage Indemnity Guarantee) compulsory if you didn't have a large enough deposit to put down at the time.' (quoted from NearlyOld above).
    Please explain the difference between PPI and MIG. My situation is very similar: 1982 mortgage with Abbey National; I was told the policy was compulsory as I had a 100% mortgage. I think it was called Mortgage Indemnity Guarantee. I had to pay a one-off premium as a lump sum, as I recall. I was in secure employment at the time with good sick pay so did not need such a policy. Isn't it PPI?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    No. It's MIG.

It's a one off premium for a policy which the lender required you to take out if you wanted their mortgage.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,313 Forumite
    jodieD wrote: »
    We had a mortgage with Abbey National back in 1998 about that time, don't have any details of the mortgage or the correct year when it was taken out. Since 2011 we got devolved etc. Can I still claim, like I said don't have any detail number of account etc.

As most MPPI is rejected, what is it that you think they did wrong?
    Did you even have MPPI? (could it have been life assurance - the far more dominant product used with mortgages)
    Abbey National mortgages were arranged by brokers and branches. Was yours a broker/adviser or via the branch (although in 1998, brokers would often use the branches of the lender)
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • mardycow
    mardycow Posts: 120 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I had mortgage with Alliance and Leicester - became Abbey National then Santander way back in the late 1980s, I do have all the old paperwork and had gone through it all but seen no mention of PPI although I also could remember having to pay that large sum even though i was a civil servant and covered for sickness etc, That has answered my question and put my mind at rest thinking i might have been eligible for refund. Thanks again, this forum is such a good resource
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure