SSP not covering my bills? any help?

I am currently on my 4th week of being signed off from work for a severe throat infection. I have checked my company hand book and im entitled to 1 week of company sick pay only and am paid nothing for the first 3 days im off..

So by my reckoning my nov paycheck (4 weekly) will be approx £400 if im lucky. :eek: My rent alone is £425 and just sat and worked out in total my bills that have to come out are £655 thats before food or anything. I live alone so have no other income into the house.

I do have £500 in a savings account, a £500 overdraft and a O% credit card but really dont wanna have to dip into these too much as i dont know if im gonna have a job in 4 weeks time (long story!)

So what im wondering is if im entitled to any benefits at all? If so can they be backdated to the day i came off work - and how do i prove it as my employer has all my sick notes? :confused:

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

Comments

• Prudent
    Prudent Posts: 11,450 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    What a stressful situation. I am sure you must be entitled to incapacity benefit because you are unfit to work. I would also think you would be entitled to housing benefit andhelp with your council tax.
    I would think it would be best to claim as soon as possible. Your employer will probably release the sick notes if asked. They can always photocopy them first.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £80/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £103/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure