Default Removal

Options
Hi all,

I've had a default put on my account to which I had no prior notice of.
Basically, a 'friend' had taken out a contract under my name (not to my knowledge) and the contract subsequently did not get paid so a debt was set on the account. I had moved house and therefore did not get any notification of the debt nor the default which was going to be put on my account. I received a letter at my new address several months later from a debt collection agency and I called, found out about the entire situation and immediately paid the debt. I spoke to the police, citizens advice - the contract company and experian explaining that I knew nothing of the debt and it was at no fault of my own. I have now been declined a mortgage and it is ruining everything!! Someone help, it appears nothing can't be done :(!!!!

Comments

• Arleen
    Arleen Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    One very simple and obvious thing to do - tell your friend to call the company which issued the default and admit what he has done. It will result in the default being lifted from your account and him receiving a cifas fraud marker. Police may or may not get notified.

If he refuses - go to the police and report this, as what he has done is a crime. This way police will for sure get involved, and your friend will likely be charged. It will also take longer to get the marker removed, but it will go away.

There is no third way. And as you've said you've spoken to the police, what they've told you? Of course to come in and report a crime, as what he did is ID theft, a very serious offence.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There is no first way either. The company wont take the word of just anyone admitting to theft. Any aTom,!!!! ir Harry could ring up and say that.

The second way may work, but dont hold your breath.

Otherwise find somewhere to rent for a few years.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why on earth did you pay the debt? It won't remove the default history, and strongly implies that you accepted liability for the debt.
    Forget phoning the creditors, you need to report the crime, get a crime number and then write to them and to the credit reference agencies.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport