Dented other car door .Please advice

Options
sue23
sue23 Posts: 141 Forumite
edited 19 March 2017 at 10:41PM in Motoring
Hello all,
Need all your suggesstions and advice please
My friend parked her car in a supermarket . It was a terribly windy day.When the passenger in her car tried to open the door, the door swung open and dented the other car's door that was parked next to hers.
My friend apologised and initially we thought that there was no damage to door, as we didn't think the door impacted very hard. But the driver was quick to point out a small dent in his car door and stated that was because of our door banging on theirs. they also stated because it was a motability/ lease car they can't settle it privately and have to go through motability, so insisted and got our insurance details, adress etc.so we exchanged details.

I'm unsure what we do now. Should my friend report it to her insurers ? and if so will they deem it as her fault. First of all we are not sure if the dent was caused by my friend's passenger as we didn't think the impact was bad enough to cause the dent.
Secondly it was a very windy day i.e road signs falling on the road, etc, So it was not mere passenger careessness, as he physically couldn't hold the door from opening wide.
Do we wait and see if motability contacts us or do we have to report to our insurers.
Does anyone know if the insurers will deeem it my friend's fault, eventhough both cars were stationery at the time. There was also camera in the car park.
Please advice as my friend has never been in a situation like this before and is unsure what to do :(

Comments

• docmatt
    docmatt Posts: 915 Forumite
    Options
    Call the other party and say you're getting dentmaster out to do the repair. It doesn't envolve painting which is what they aren't allowed to do through the scheme themselves. Cost you less than your excess.
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,423 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You could try the above, otherwise yes, your friend needs to tell her insurers and it will more than likely be deemed her/passenger's fault, particularly as the door did actually hit the car. Even though it was very windy, the passenger was still at fault for not being in control of opening the door.
  • thescouselander
    Options
    I hate it when careless idiots cause dings like this. Instead of trying to get out of it your friend should put right the damage. I would have thought a smart repairer would be able to sort of for between £50 and £100 as long as the paint isnt damaged - perhaps it would be worth offering to pay for this.
  • sue23
    Options
    docmatt wrote: »
    Call the other party and say you're getting dentmaster out to do the repair. It doesn't envolve painting which is what they aren't allowed to do through the scheme themselves. Cost you less than your excess.

Thanks docmatt. But they didn't want to resolve it privately and insisted they are going through motability. Maybe they don't have to pay excess,etc that's probably why they refused to settle it privately.
  • sue23
    Options
    I hate it when careless idiots cause dings like this. Instead of trying to get out of it your friend should put right the damage. I would have thought a smart repairer would be able to sort of for between £50 and £100 as long as the paint isnt damaged - perhaps it would be worth offering to pay for this.

As I mentioned in my initial post it Wasn't mere carelessness of the passenger, as the strong wind caused him to loose control !! It was an accident and it could have happened to anyone.Also my friend is a carefull and sensible driver which is why she is trying to sort this issue out amicably and NOT trying to get away with it.
  • sue23
    Options
    chrisw wrote: »
    You could try the above, otherwise yes, your friend needs to tell her insurers and it will more than likely be deemed her/passenger's fault, particularly as the door did actually hit the car. Even though it was very windy, the passenger was still at fault for not being in control of opening the door.

Thanks chrisw . I guess she will have to go through her insurers as the other party don't vwant to settle it privately.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This is really very simple. Your friend is obliged to tell her insurer. WHen she does, they will sort it out. End of problem. That's what she pays for.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    sue23 wrote: »
    Thanks docmatt. But they didn't want to resolve it privately and insisted they are going through motability. Maybe they don't have to pay excess,etc that's probably why they refused to settle it privately.
    They wont have to pay excess if they claim directly from your friend's insurer.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,993 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Your friend should let her insurer know about it and let them deal with it. It's what she pays premiums for.

Forget about wind, road signs blowing about and cars being stationary, none of that is relevant. An accident caused by your friend's passenger has damaged a third party's property. Your friend isn't in a position to determine how it is resolved, it's up to the other party. If the situation were reversed, would your friend prefer to make a simple claim on the third party's insurance and have it all organised for her, or go through the hassle of organising a private repair and hoping that the third party doesn't dispute the cost, doesn't ask for extra quotes and eventually pays up?
  • rich13348
    rich13348 Posts: 840 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Accidents happen. This is the reason insurance exists. Unfortunately they will mark it as a fault claim. Just the way it works.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure