We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Coco liner for trough - not wall!

Options
scrub
scrub Posts: 172 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Does anyone know where I can get a coco liner for a trough / manger / planter but not one that is flat on one side for a wall trough. I need one that is rounded both sides.

I've tried ebay, amazon, google but everywhere just stocks the wall version. The one I did find had a review saying it was actually the wall version flat on one side. I can only find them with another planter frame which we don't want.

I could get the roll and just shape it but it would be easier for my elderly mother to have a trough one.

Comments

• Justagardener
    Options
    Not easy to find. the roll looks like the best option you could stitch it using garden string taped to a nail acting as a big needle!
  • scrub
    Options
    Thanks. Yes, the DIY option is possible but it would be so much easier just to get one to fit. I can't believe they're not available.
  • BargainGalore
    BargainGalore Posts: 5,243 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You could use a old compost bag turn it inside out so black inside shows and make a few holes in it for drainage
  • scrub
    Options
    You could use a old compost bag turn it inside out so black inside shows and make a few holes in it for drainage

I just want a trough liner. There must be somewhere that sells them :(
  • ERICS_MUM
    ERICS_MUM Posts: 3,579 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Garden centre ? Have you checked the Gardman website, they are one of the main retailers for such linings.

Have you bought the manger thingy recently ? Have you asked the shop where you bought it if they can obtain the liner for you ?
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 18 May 2017 at 4:56PM
    Options
    I'd suggest the planter you have is niche, rather than mainstream, which is why you're having trouble.

Moulded liners tend to be expensive to post anyway, another dis incentive for stockists.

Maybe get another planter frame and just use that liner?

Am sure you could find a home for the spare planter.

Every year I get new £1 baskets purely for the removable moulded liners, because it's the most economical way to obtain them. I then freecycle the baskets.

Alternatively, try one of the few that are available, see if they can be encouraged with some soil to become round both sides.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 18 May 2017 at 5:56PM
    Options
    Gardman Georgian Cradle Coco Liner - 60cm

gardman-logo_7.jpg

£5.99

• Is this big enough? It's for a Gardman's free standing cradle planter
    • gardman-georgian-cradle-planter.jpg
      £19.99
    Save