PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Recipe Ideas Please?

Options
I have ingredients that I don't usually use and I wondered how I could use them with chicken breasts.
I have:
red and green chillies
curry powder
ginger powder
cheese slices
red onions

They were bought on the spur of the moment yesterday as I fancied something different but I don't know what to do with them now. :rolleyes:
Can anyone advise, please?
Betty

Comments

• pawpurrs
    pawpurrs Posts: 3,910 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A curry is screaming out at me, i would use the cheese slices seperately!
    Pawpurrs x ;)
  • bettyr
    bettyr Posts: 477 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks pawpurrs.
    Would you believe that I've never made a curry?
    I'll google a curry to see if I should use the chillies.
  • Wendrie
    Wendrie Posts: 135 Forumite
    Options
    Flatten the breasts slightly, add chopped onions/peppers/mushrooms sort of a thing and then add in a few chopped chillies in the middle and roll them up. Fasten with a toothpick, if the cheese slices are a nice cheese you can add them in the middle (under the chopped veg) as well. Dip into beaten egg and roll in breadcrumbs - bake in the oven for about 30-40 mins serve with a carbohydrate of your choice and veg :)
  • pawpurrs
    pawpurrs Posts: 3,910 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ingredients for 3 people:

1 large onion
    1 tin of chopped tomatoes
    1 tin of chick peas
    3 diced medium size pieces of chicken breast
    8 oz chopped spinach
    1/2 diced pepper (any colour)
    1 chilli
    2 teaspoons curry powder
    a shake of mixed herbs
    10 chopped small mushrooms
    8 oz brown rice

Method:

1 Fry onion till brown in large pan with a little oil on high heat

2 Add chicken cubes and fry for 10 mins on high heat. (Use a little water/wine if it starts to stick)

3 Add tin of chopped tomatoes, chick peas, mushrooms, curry powder, chilli powder, pepper, mixed herbs

4 Cook for further 5 mins on high heat, then reduce heat to simmer for 10 mins

5 Add rice to pan of boiling water and cook for 15 mins or however long rice packet says. Continue simmering curry.

6 5mins before rice is ready, cook spinach in separate pan using a small amount of boiling water
    for 5 mins until reduced in size. Stir spinach into curry pan.

7 Serve up rice and curry and dig in.

Note: Meat should be cooked for 30 mins at least.

Variations:

A Add 100ml of beer at step 3 or alternatively 100ml of milk for creamy curry

B Add variations of cumin, ginger, garam masala, other spices and herbs at step 3

C Serve with popadums, nan, riata, lassi

D 10 mins before end, add some quick cook orange lentils for Dall like curry

E For hotter curry (this is madras) add more chilli, hotter curry powder and/or some chilli peppers
    Pawpurrs x ;)
  • Burlesque_Babe
    Burlesque_Babe Posts: 17,547 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do you have any natural yoghurt? If you do, chop a couple of chillies, and stir in enough yoghurt to coat the breasts. Add a decent spoonful of curry powder . Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes, or you can grill for about 10-15. Chop the onions into rings and gently fry them. Sit the chicken breasts on the onions and serve with salad/rice/boiled potatoes!
    :D"Stay Wonky":D

:j:jBecome Mrs Pepe 9 October 2012 :j:j
  • bettyr
    Options
    My thanks. You have all been very helpful. I wish I had yoghurt! :p
  • Burlesque_Babe
    Burlesque_Babe Posts: 17,547 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You could do the same with a tin of tomatoes?
    :D"Stay Wonky":D

:j:jBecome Mrs Pepe 9 October 2012 :j:j
  • bettyr
    Options
    Thank you so much for your replies.
    I'm afraid that I just grilled the chicken but today I'm going to be expiremental
    and do one of the above recipes as my friend who is staying with me is as fond of chicken as I am.
    The reason that I've never made a curry is that I don't buy convenience foods and we have a takeaway each week---a curry. Otherwise I make casseroles, fish, pastas etc. but never had to do a curry.
    Thanks.
    Betty
  • mirakl
    mirakl Posts: 484 Forumite
    Options
    If you have an old tin of chicken soup (or any soup you think will work for that matter) chucking that in a pan with a few spoonfulls of curry powder makes a handy quick curry sauce.
    My Doctor told me that "1 out of 3 people who start smoking will eventually die." The other two apparently became immortal.

eBay £00-00
    Amazon £00-00

Grand Total £99-41
  • ladygrey_2
    ladygrey_2 Posts: 374 Forumite
    Options
    a spicy chicken risotto with chese slices melted ontop
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing