Seeking 5 Star break but very flexible

Options
Hi all. I want to book a break just two nights, in a 5 star hotel or in a castle. I am struggling with the big sites as they always want dates and region, I'm not bothered I just want the best value I can get, I'm willing to be flexible with time and place to achieve this.

What's the best way to achieve great value luxury breaks? I have looked on secret escapes, but I'm not sure the discounts are really discounts. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Have other people enjoyed any great savings with luxury breaks?

Thanks for taking time to help. Cheers Richard.

Comments

• wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    I have looked on secret escapes, but I'm not sure the discounts are really discounts. Perhaps I'm wrong.

I was also worried, but last year I saw a hotel on their site and got a price. Then I rang the hotel to see if I could get a better price ( true MSE) ,
    not only could they not better it, they could not even match it!

Secrete escapes worked for me.
  • davross
    davross Posts: 288 Forumite
    Options
    By far the cheapest way I have found to stay in 5* hotels is by using loyalty points.

Most of the large hotel chains have their own loyalty schemes but I mainly use IHG as you can earn loads of points very easily and use them to stay at their 5* InterContinental hotel brand hotels.

Using just points, I've already stayed at the 5* InterContinental London Park Lane and I have trips to the InterContinental Amsterdam and InterContinental New York (flying in first class - also paid for with points) booked.

IHG are currently running a promotion where you could earn enough for a 2 night stay at an InterContinental by spending 2 nights at a budget hotel.

If you want more info just ask.
  • Hello,

We've just booked for the Savoy in London for two nights! This is very extravagant for us to be honest. Anyway, we used Late Rooms and managed to save about £220 on the room.

Don't get me wrong it was still very expensive, but the savings has paid for theatre tickets, meals etc.

You can search on their website by just typing in England as the destination. When the results come back just filter by star rating.
  • InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You're really going to have to narrow things down a little bit. Do you want London? major city? small town? countryside?

What do you want to be doing once outside of the hotel room?

There are plenty of sites to look at depend on if you are looking last minute or well in advance. Where you will get the best price varies both by current booking levels, season and time to stay. I know when we stayed at the Savoy they said their cheapest rooms are typically 2 weeks before the stay, so do that in low season and you'll probably get the best price unless you miss time it to a major event in London.

Its always worth talking to the hotel before buying via someone else. Depending on who their main distribution channels are they may or may not be willing to do something for you.

Also be aware that star ratings are predominately about facilities and set services (eg 24/7 reception and room service) and not actually a good measure of quality. If you are looking at things like castles or stately homes you'll see many arent going to be 5* because the limitations of their property prevent them from having a large enough swimming pool or such to get full stars.
  • EllasPa
    EllasPa Posts: 1,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I won, I won, I won!
    Options
    The quitest month for hotels in the UK is usually January, especially the first week. You may find find bargains then, whilst demand is at it's lowest. As for days of the week, usually Sunday nights are the quietest, so again you would probably get the best rate then.
  • Yorkshiredad
    Options
    I recommend offpeakluxury.com
    This company does offers & deals at mostly independent country hotels of a good standard. There's a manageable number, something for everyone but not an overwhelming choice. They have a brilliant phone service and will do anything to help, and are very good at taking a brief and coming up with a shortlist. You can do it yourself on their website of course, but I prefer the old fashioned customer service. I also like that their offers are packages, mostly including dinner, and often extras on top.You get the main part of the bill out of the way before you arrive, and know what you are letting yourself in for.

I am rather put off Secret Escapes these days. They do have some genuinely very good discounts, but they also have a lot of offers that seem a bit misleading. I've heard a lot of people say that they get the worst rooms, or a much reduced dinner menu (to make it cheaper presumably). If I go to a nice hotel I want the full experience, not some corner-cutting budget version.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure