DAB radio under £15. DAB Alarm clock under £20

Options

Comments

• trickyd400
    Options
    Yes, I have a MAGICBOX from Comet, £59.99 this has a pair of phonos on the rear for line out to connect to a HiFi etc. As well as a 3.5mm jack on the side to plug iPods etc. into. All round a very good sound, I especiallly like Planet Rock, Arrow Rock and Virgin Classic Rock stations, so you can see where I'm coming from!
  • L.S.D.
    L.S.D. Posts: 412 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    dalmac wrote: »
    I don't even know where to start with this statement. What is it that you are trying to say here?

I'm not trying to say anything. I'm telling you. If the internet goes down as all providers do, you have no Radio.

With the exception of some bbc stations, all uk stations are available outside the uk. Compare this with DAB. Yeah.

My point was that someone is trying to say that getting a station abroad or from abroad is a benefit, but it's not always.

No they don't. Mine certainly doesn't.

All the site's I've looked at say you have to set them up.

Look I'm not trying to start a flame war, I'm just saying that I've owned both and in my opinion the internet radio is far superior. I don't think that DAB has a future.

I've owned a wheelbarrow & a car, & the car is far more superior, however there are times the wheelbarrow is superior.
    Nice to save.
  • dalmac
    dalmac Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    L.S.D. wrote: »

I've owned a wheelbarrow & a car, & the car is far more superior, however there are times the wheelbarrow is superior.

That's a terrible analogy.
    What I am saying is that that internet radio is far superior at doing the same job as a DAB radio (listening to the radio in my house).

I can only speak from personal experience having owned both. I didn't have to set my internet radio up, the internet has never, ever "gone down".
  • micoli
    micoli Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I just bought the cheapo Technika mono DAB/FM @ £14.97. I bought it to have on my desk and to have at my bedside during a prolonged hospital stay that will be happening soon.

Despite some of the negative points raised about DAB in general, it's a really good buy at below £15. Not the most powerful speaker and probably heavy on batteries as has been mentioned, (I've not tried batteries yet), but it is a very affordable DAB radio. If you want all the stations of the internet, then get online. This is a basic portable DAB / FM radio, of reasonable quality, at a very reasonable price and it fills it's market niche admirably. And it will not be too much of a write-off if DAB+ comes in sooner than expected.
  • brightonman123
    Options
    most DABS i have seen look rather old hat design wise.. will they still get 'analogue' when digital radio goes belly up- have read some stations clsing down because of the cost / lack of advertising etc..
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
  • tonymudd
    Options
    A week ago we bought one of the Tescos DAB radios, (I think it was £40) - while it's quite a good radio, decent sound, quite small, tuned easily - it's electronically a bad design - the power is on all the time. I used a meter (from Maplin) to measure the power usage. 7 w while on (volume down lowish), 6 w while off.
    I guess it's still using the radio circuit to know what the time is - you don't program it with the time.
    Not very environmentally friendy. You'd expect a modern appliance to take < 1w on standby. I have a 20 y/o stereo that only takes 3 w and that's listening for a remote control. The manufacturer knows this too - they tell you about using it on batteries and leaving it on standby.
  • Mark_Ice
    Options
    Getting a tad heavy in here!

Anyhow, is this one of those auto time update type alarm clocks, in short if I turn it off in the morning and switch it back on at night will the time auto update or is it a manual input for time settings?

Thanks
    So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable Christopher Reeve (1953-2004)
  • Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    martynelmy wrote: »
    Oh and that assumes you don't live in the sticks and can still only get 512 or 1mb broadband.

Plese keep the product in perspective.

As someone who lives out in the sticks, the problem with DAB is the lack of choice.

I can receive only 18 DAB stations, 11 of which belong to the BBC. Of the other 7, two (Planet Rock and the Jazz) are closing down shortly, two are available on FM or MW (Classic FM and Virgin), which leaves BFBS Radio, TalkSport and Capital Life.

So please keep the product in perspective.
  • L.S.D.
    L.S.D. Posts: 412 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Altarf wrote: »
    As someone who lives out in the sticks, the problem with DAB is the lack of choice.

I can receive only 18 DAB stations, 11 of which belong to the BBC. Of the other 7, two (Planet Rock and the Jazz) are closing down shortly, two are available on FM or MW (Classic FM and Virgin), which leaves BFBS Radio, TalkSport and Capital Life.

So please keep the product in perspective.

Then go in the wi fi radio thread, as it's obvious you don't need or want a DAB radio.
    Nice to save.
  • dardruba
    Options
    I bought a very expensive DAB setup just so I could listen to Mike Chadwick the presenter of Cutting Edge jazz on the then new theJazz station.
    They've withdrawn from DAB, he got thePush, I'm annoyed.

No other radio station plays his choice of modern jazz and I'm stuck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure