little and often

Options
Ok, so after being together for 21 years, we've now decided we're able to start thinking about buying our council home.

hubby has been in employment for just over 2 years after being a full time carer for his late mum,
I've just secured employment after 5 years of caring for my mum (although mine was unpaid)

So, together our income is about to rocket. But i know that no mortgage lender will touch us until i've been employed for at least a year, if not 2.

We have £4000 to start us off deposit wise, thats what we've managed to save so far.
With what i've calculated we'll be able to save out of my wage, we should have just over £21,000 in two years, and thats without savvy spending and interest rates on savings.

my goal is to have £30,000 by the end of august 2014 as a deposit. If not more

So, my challenge for september is,
Yellow stickered items for as many meals as i can get

Rearrange the pantry with some extra shelving to accomodate bulk bought goods,

Quit the smoking completely as i did quit earlier in the year but went back and started on hand rolling tobacco.

Organise my insurance renewals reminders so i dont have to do the last minute panic to find a better deal.

Start clearing out the stuff i've stored in the loft for above a decade and see wether any of it is saleable

So each week i'll do an update of what i've managed to save, and what i've earned outside of work.
Mortgage deposit fund: £4000
£2012 in 2012 challenge #121: £2491.23/£2012

Comments

• kenthaia
    Options
    just a little day by day can save much for a long time
  • smunchkinp
    Options
    Been off to a slow start.

£500 a month so far. But did go a bit wild when i first started work and got all the xmas pressies in ect. so that did blow a hole in my budget.

But now since im sorted for xmas, (shopping ordered, Meat hamper ordered from butchers, pressies bought and wrapped) I can now come back to this challenge i've set myself in earnest.

So from now until my birthday (end of feb) my goal is to increase my savings by..... £2200 at least.
    Mortgage deposit fund: £4000
    £2012 in 2012 challenge #121: £2491.23/£2012
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family