Wedding Invites & Gifts, the quagmire

Options
Hello folks

I am in the process of making up wedding invites. One thing that is a bit awkward is what to put for gifts.

The good lady and I have a house already that's reasonably well kitted out, don't need much at all really. Money is always welcome (the day is going to cost a fortune!).

However, I want to keep the invite classy, and I dont want to directly suggest attendees gives us money as a gift. I know any weddings I go to I generally just give cash as its easy.

I was thinking of not mentioning anything about gifts on the invite. Is this stupid?

Comments

• DomRavioli
    DomRavioli Posts: 3,136 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'd mention that if the invitee wants to give something, then cash would be appreciated - perhaps towards a honeymoon? There are a lot of examples of how to do it best on google images.

And if you leave it off be warned you will get seven toasters.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    I think nothing should be mentioned about gifts. If someone asks then you can suggest that money would be welcome. You should accept any gifts graciously, evev duplicates
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Teapot55
    Teapot55 Posts: 731 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    We went to a wedding last year & they had a 'postbox' for cards. We put a cheque in with our card. (Hope someone was watching it discreetly - don't remember getting a thank you for our 'gift' - note to self - go & check bank statement!)

would've . . . could've . . . should've . . .

A.A.A.S. (Associate of the Acronym Abolition Society)

There's definitely no 'a' in 'definitely'.
  • svain
    svain Posts: 516 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 February 2017 at 8:23PM
    Options
    Im all for making gift list etc when young and moving into first home together, however asking for gifts when already "kitted out" is poor form. Asking for money is even worse and definitely lacks "class"!! .... Its no different to charging an entrance fee to your wedding!! ....

Send the invites with no preference would be my advice
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Zola. wrote: »
    Hello folks

I am in the process of making up wedding invites. One thing that is a bit awkward is what to put for gifts.

The good lady and I have a house already that's reasonably well kitted out, don't need much at all really. Money is always welcome (the day is going to cost a fortune!).

However, I want to keep the invite classy, and I dont want to directly suggest attendees gives us money as a gift. I know any weddings I go to I generally just give cash as its easy.

I was thinking of not mentioning anything about gifts on the invite. Is this stupid?
    It's your choice that the day will cost a fortune.
    I don't think it's the remit of guests to help fund an expensive wedding.

I really would not mention gifts on the invitation.
    It would - at least to me - sound tacky and grasping.
    svain wrote: »
    Im all for making gift list etc when young and moving into first home together, however asking for gifts when already "kitted out" is poor form. Asking for money is even worse and definitely lacks "class"!! .... Its no different to charging an entrance fee to your wedding!! ....

^^^^ Pretty much my opinion too.
  • Zola.
    Zola. Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yeah, as I said I wouldn't want to ask for money. I'll just leave it out
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would leave it out, but perhaps you could mention to a couple of people (the natural organisers - mums maybe?) that you don't want to be cheeky but if anybody asks them what you might like, you would really appreciate a small contribution towards honeymoon spending money.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We are in your position and have family coming from outwith the UK. We have a small wedding list at John Lewis and most people have either bought from the list or told our mums that they are gifting us money (some are giving Dollars).

I think the etiquette is to let people ask your parents and have your parents say that you don't need boxed gifts but would appreciate vouchers or money.
  • Sewsosew
    Options
    This is silly but I'll tell the story anyway. A friend got a wedding invitation which said that donations towards the honeymoon would be appreciated so he gave a tent and two sleeping bags.
    When dancing with dragons, don't let your partner lead.
  • 7roland8
    7roland8 Posts: 3,601 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    svain wrote: »

Partly agree - how tacky are those poems asking for money for a honeymoon - as sais somewhere else its your choice to spend a fortune.

As you don't need stuff personally I's say 'no gifts required', then just have a box for cards and accept money if its given.
    Great opportunities to help others seldom come, but small ones surround us every day. -- Sally Koch
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure