MoneySaving Poll: Have benefits been cut too far or not far enough?

Options

Comments

• catwoman73
    catwoman73 Posts: 446 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Some benefits are too low and others could be too high.

It is wrong that a person without children who has worked and paid tax/NI for many years is entitled to virtually nothing if they become unemployed, but as long as someone with children meets the minimum work threshold of 16 hours a week or 24 if part of a couple they are often entitled to hundreds of pounds a month in CTC etc.

In the current low inflationary climate the triple lock on pensions needs to go too. We are all in this together after all and on average, today's pensioners are better off than younger people.
  • relaxtwotribes
    Options
    densol wrote: »
    WHY reduce CGT ? All it does is benefit those with a few bob

Not quite. A high CGT rate discourages the use of capital in its most beneficial form. Reducing CGT encourages the transfer of capital from one (poor) use to another (better), thereby benefiting society as a whole.
  • happyinflorida
    Options
    I am very sad to see how many people want benefits reduced more.

Our media is to blame for this misinformed attitude. The Daily Mail has had a non stop go at claimants for years - the same way as the conservative party, who don't forget got an 11% pay rise given - way above inflation but some how they got voted in again.

Pensions are something no political party would dare to touch as they know pensioners are the one group who vote - I think it's around 80% or more and so they are safe because of this, no one dares to means test pensions. I think they should be - why do people receiving over £2500 still get a pension, just because they've paid for it?!

Same for bus passes. Again, no one dares to touch these or means test them.

There have been many people who have had their benefits stopped for no good reason and that has left them without any money to buy food or pay essential bills and they have committed suicide - there have been thousands of these suicides which the media has largely hidden AND the DWP refuses to release the figures - they have been taken to court to get these figures out but have fought it tooth and nail - that should make you realise that something sadistic is going on in the conservative party.

How anyone can say benefits should be reduced more I do not understand unless you have no idea of what goes on.

You have to look for jobs - that don't exist. You have to show you have applied for jobs, every two weeks. Even jobs which you have no hope of getting but because they are the only ones going - you still have to waste your time applying. That is what is going on in the Jobcentres up and down the country.

Then the conservatives have brought in "Apprenticeships" for the young. These are needed due to the fact that there are no jobs for young people anymore but surprise, surprise jobs can be found that only pay £2.75 per hour to a young person who has worked hard to get good college qualifications and thanks to being in the EU there are no jobs for them to do. Some companies provide no training at all to apprentices - they are just there to move furniture around when needed and answer the phones and are general dogs bodies but that's ok because it's a government sponsored apprenticeship which pays the companies to employ the unemployed young and reduce unemployment figures so the conservatives look as if they have achieved something.

No they have not are are not but we are being kept in the dark and many people who are on benefits are being driven to suicide and stressed out when they shouldn't be but hey ho you keep your opinions and keep voting for benefits to be reduced because you couldn't care less about other human beings in the UK or the poor homeless from Syria who have had their lives ruined and country bombed out of recognition but we don't want them here, even though we are bombing them AGAIN.

What is going on - wake up and smell the coffee before it's too late.
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    Several posters on this thread have indicated that people can't get jobs because there are none available.

Just for information, Trading Economics have said there were 768,000 vacant jobs being advertised in January of this year.

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/job-vacancies

Anybody who can't get a job these days is just not looking (hard enough).
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • Dird
    Dird Posts: 2,703 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They should be cut more. It's so annoying seeing these MPs keep fighting against them for arguments sake despite the Tories winning on a pro-cuts manifesto & the government needing to borrow more.

That £26k per year max should be dropped to £16-20k. It always annoys me now when I hear people saying the maximum is at the average salary so they shouldn't earn more than that.
    When I was in uni I thought "oh, it's capped at a graduate salary, that's probably tough for big families & reasonable". Then I graduated & realised it's nothing like someone on £26k. A person earning £26k pays tax. A person being gifted £26k pays nothing.

£26k benefits is the same as about £40k/year working income...far too generous. Tough to raise 6 kids on £26k? Then stop procreating. Nobody wants more leeches.

I agree with the 2 kid limit on child benefit.

No hard opinion on the disability thing but it's probably a good thing since so many people are fiddling it for extra money. Some C5 show said this guy had a bad kidney and the girl a twisted spine...seemed to move around fine so could do an office job at least. My dad claims it when he shouldn't also so they're clearly not validating things much or the requirements are too easy.

Bedroom tax should go as a result to cuts in these other areas
    Mortgage (Nov 15): £79,950 | Mortgage (May 19): £71,754 | Mortgage (Sep 22): £0
    Cashback sites: £900 | £30k in 2016: £30,300 (101%)
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    justjoanne wrote: »
    I'm appalled at the number of people that think cuts have not gone far enough. I can only imagine that they have never tried to live on £70 a week (or £55 a week if you are under 25). And no - I'm not on that amount myself - but I do feel for those that are.

And it's not as simple as saying "find a job". If the jobs are not there - and they aren't - or you have long term illness or disability then cutting the benefits paid will not "help" you into work. The cuts just penalise those who are unfortunate.

Of course there are a few who work the system and give everyone a bad name, but they are a tiny proportion. Probably less then those who avoid tax to be even richer than they are.

Have some compassion people. Not everyone has had the same opportunities as you!

How much was it before the 'cuts'?
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    catwoman73 wrote: »
    Some benefits are too low and others could be too high.

It is wrong that a person without children who has worked and paid tax/NI for many years is entitled to virtually nothing if they become unemployed, but as long as someone with children meets the minimum work threshold of 16 hours a week or 24 if part of a couple they are often entitled to hundreds of pounds a month in CTC etc.

In the current low inflationary climate the triple lock on pensions needs to go too. We are all in this together after all and on average, today's pensioners are better off than younger people.

35 hours per week at minimum wage is £252. Pension credit is £151.20. I get ~ £160 state pension, too much for pension credit. I pay some tax, most of my council tax and do get some HB but have to pay a lot myself. The only other benefit I get is £100 WFA (it's £200 per household, not per pensioner). No point in getting a bus pass, aren't many buses
  • Loganberry1
    Options
    I think it is interesting that people over 65 as a majority think there are still cuts to be made. Do they realise the state pension is the biggest benefit tax burden the state has, that their benefits have been protected whilst younger people will gave to work much longer, see the NHS disbanded whilst we pay for their pension and their elderly care whilst having to save for ours. I say this as someone who has nearly always worked, claimed JSA after I was made redundant whilst looking for another job- which I found within a few months, so as a safety net. We also claimed disability living allowance for my son. Let me tell you, that money is not to make life fun, it covers extra costs like care, parking at hospitals frequently, for us going a small way to fund the gap as, due to his care needs I had to work part time. Many people use the benefits system because they really need to. It is often a life line.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    THE_TRUTH wrote: »
    To be fair posting this on a BENEFITS FORUM is going to give bias results.

The results don't seem to be showing any bias, right across the age ranges and for both men and women, the results are very similar for both for and against.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There's a big difference between the two: the state pension has been accrued by those who receive it because of all of their contributions to NI over their working lives. The youngest people are relying on the benefits intended to just keep people out of very serious poverty.

For a few decades the state pension has been decreasing as a percentage of median average earnings so the argument goes in part that the increases now are just to help to get it back to the percentage of average earnings that it used to be at. That is essentially that pensioners have not been getting the benefits they were led to expect when they were paying in and things are now moving back to them getting to that level.

Is now a good time to be doing that? Never is a good time, it's all spending. :) But notice the increases to state pension age that have been contributing to reducing the growth rate for state pension costs. There isn't really any comparable thing for the income support and housing benefit types of benefit.
    Yes and no. The benefits to households with children are intended to keep the children out of relative poverty, not the adults, and to encourage doing at least some work in the hope that this will lead to more work in the future.

The person without children isn't entitled to virtually nothing, though, they do get the income support (or equivalent) and housing benefit (or equivalent) and I've spend a fair few years on that myself. The unemployment part of this is pretty cheap in total cost terms so if it wasn't for the reluctance to pay those who could work it could be increased without much extra cost. There's a particularly good argument for doing that for the first six months that are the contribution-related unemployment benefit period, before it switches to means tested. Like the state pension case, that'd be people getting more after having paid in to the system to get it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure