Moving a relative to a home - BADLY need advice!

Options
13»

Comments

• Alan_Cross
    Alan_Cross Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to hijack the thread but I see nobody's posted for a few days anyway.

I was wondering whether, as I've heard, it's possible to 'bargain' with care homes for a lower fee than the one they quote up front.

I'm in the same position with trying to find a place for an aged relative who will be self-funding. Up till now I've simply taken it as read that the price homes quote is set in stone - but a few I've visited quite clearly have rooms available which they've not been able to fill for some time.

Has anyone heard of 'haggling' being successful?
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,867 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Alan_Cross wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack the thread but I see nobody's posted for a few days anyway.

I was wondering whether, as I've heard, it's possible to 'bargain' with care homes for a lower fee than the one they quote up front.

I'm in the same position with trying to find a place for an aged relative who will be self-funding. Up till now I've simply taken it as read that the price homes quote is set in stone - but a few I've visited quite clearly have rooms available which they've not been able to fill for some time.

Has anyone heard of 'haggling' being successful?

Local authorities do it when self funders money runs out, to try to avoid the person having to be uprooted to move somewhere cheaper. They possibly have a little more clout though than a solitary individual.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • chubster
    chubster Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Due to a complication situation (as this type of thing often is) I am taking on lasting power of attorney for my Dad (property and finance). I can't find the answer to this question anywhere - if Dad goes into a care home and self funds, if/when he runs out of money am I liable for paying for his care home? It's not a situation that will hopefully happen in the near future but I am unsure what my liabilities are if I take on LPA. Thanks for any help.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,867 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You or other relatives may be asked to pay a top up. This is nothing to do with the POA, and there is no obligation for you to agree. The POA doesn't make you liable for his costs out of your own money.
    Otherwise, if the home is more expensive than the LA amount and agreement can't be reached with the home to agree a lower figure then dad might have to move. LAs will pay some top up but it won't be a lot and probably varies between areas.

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/paying-your-own-care-costs-but-the-moneys-run-out
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • troubleinparadise
    Options
    chubster wrote: »
    Due to a complication situation (as this type of thing often is) I am taking on lasting power of attorney for my Dad (property and finance). I can't find the answer to this question anywhere - if Dad goes into a care home and self funds, if/when he runs out of money am I liable for paying for his care home? It's not a situation that will hopefully happen in the near future but I am unsure what my liabilities are if I take on LPA. Thanks for any help.

Should your father go into residential care, read the contract carefully to check there isn't a clause which says that you will pay the fees should his funding run out. The contracts can be long and wordy, so worth taking time over.

The normal situation is that the LA would take over funding your father's care if/when his funds run out - but that might not be where he is residing at that time should the fees exceed what the LA will pay. And of course the funding on offer may change by that time.

LPA gives you the power to handle the donor's assets on their behalf in their best interests, but it does not make you financially responsible for the donor from your own funds. Always read anything that you might have to sign on the donor's behalf very carefully.

Keep good records of what is spent with receipts - it is easy to keep track of as you go along, harder to sort out later if needed and it's all a muddle!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure