Debts and Mature Nursing Degree?????

Options
Hi,
Wonder if you can offer me some advice.
I'm 34, work in the hospital as admin (full time band 2 18750 per year) and hoping to do an access course funded through work and then hopefully a degree in radiography.
I have around 12K of debts over 2 credit cards and I'm working on getting this down.
I live with my partner who has is own debts I have nothing to do with. He's a paramedic and on band 5 28000 per year).
I'm wondering if anyone with a similar background to mine has managed to do a degree with their debts? I think I'll get a bursary for this course and I understand I'll be able to apply for a loan too but I'm not sure on fact and figures.
Can it be done or have I left it too late?
:) xx

Comments

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I thought bursaries finish for new entries after this year so it will be normal student finance loans/grants
  • Starrystarrynight1
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that NHS bursaries are a thing of the past for entrants from 2016/17 and onwards, too.

Here's a link to the student finance calculator for England. You could use this to check what loans you might be entitled to:

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

I used to be Starrystarrynight on MSE, before a log in technical glitch!
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Your partner is on £28K plus 25% unsocial hours payment unless they only work days.
    This will effect you loan from the loan company
  • onthego
    onthego Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Talk to your Trust - maybe your manager or Training/HR department, if you haven't already. Trusts sometimes sponsor their staff to do professional qualifications particularly in shortage areas such as nursing, so if you can show you're keen, dedicated, capable and going to stick around and work for them afterwards, they may choose to invest in you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure