PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Pre Exchange Viewing - Leak

Options
Hi all,

So my partner and I went to visit the property we are due to be exchanging on this week. It's a renovation and currently vacant so we thought it wise to view again especially because of the freezing weather recently. We arrived to find a pot of grout, blankets on the floor of the kitchen and bathroom, a new tap, and an old piece of split pipe. The heating was on full blast and a plug in heater had also been used. I thought maybe they were trying to dry something out. In any case, there's obviously been some sort of leak.

We tested the water/taps and thought the pressure was shot but discovered that the water had been turned off. The estate agent was none the wiser and will obviously contact the vendors asap to find out more. Hopefully we'll hear back tomorrow (we were due to exchange tomorrow and complete Friday.) The vendors obviously had no idea we were heading round again with the EA. I'm hoping it's now all sorted, however I can't help but feel a tad anxious. I'm keen to head back for another pre-exchange viewing once it's clear of the blankets, etc and the vendors state that it's all fixed.

Could there be a more serious issue? I'm a tad perplexed as to why there were apparent leak problems upstairs in the bathroom and downstairs in the kitchen?

Many thanks.

Comments

• LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi all,

Could there be a more serious issue? I'm a tad perplexed as to why there were apparent leak problems upstairs in the bathroom and downstairs in the kitchen?

Many thanks.

Is the bathroom above the kitchen?

Gravity?
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm a tad perplexed as to why there were apparent leak problems upstairs in the bathroom and downstairs in the kitchen?
    These are the places where pipework is usually more exposed, so most likely to freeze when a tight developer leaves the house inadequately heated over a spectacularly inclement period.

Given that the weather was predicted, your seller is possibly an idiot, and you were right in any case to make a pre-exchange inspection.

What kind of survey did you have on the place?

One assumes your solicitor is satisfied that the work done has been monitored by building control and signed off properly, but I'd still check and, of course, have another inspection prior to exchange.

Personally, I might well delay exchange, because if there has been a flood of some significance, damage may have been done that won't show up till everything's dried out. Depending on the severity, you might even expect a further inspection by your surveyor at the vendor's expense
  • luckypotato
    luckypotato Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. Building control, etc has definitely been signed off and we have all the paperwork. Our solicitor is also satisfied with this. We had a homebuyers report which came back ok - just a recommendation for a drainage survey as there are trees near the property which we had done. All came back ok.

The estate agent is trying to get in touch with the vendors for clarification on the issue of the leak. Another inspection on our part will definitely be warranted. We've just transferred deposit, etc to our solicitor who has also requested mortgage monies from our lender. Will delaying exchange require monies etc to be returned or will they just sit with the solicitor for a while?

Thanks again.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 7 March 2018 at 11:09AM
    Options
    Will delaying exchange require monies etc to be returned or will they just sit with the solicitor for a while?

Thanks again.
    See David's answer below, but the solicitor could have a duty to inform the lender anyway. It depends on the severity of the leak, which none of us can see from here!
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Will delaying exchange require monies etc to be returned or will they just sit with the solicitor for a while?
    The solicitor can tell the lender to delay sending the funds to them (the lender won't want the solicitor to be sitting on unsecured mortgage funds for more than a couple of days).
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    They'll prob need a dehumidifier rather than a heater. When I had a boiler/tank leak and collapsed ceiling below, I had to have a couple of them. You wouldn't believe the amount of water they sucked out!

I also had probs for a couple of years after until I moved. The door frame and skirting board below the bathroom (between kitchen and lounge) used to make an almighty cracking noise where it split when the weather was hot.

Make sure they get it treated correctly - or get your dehumidifiers ready for when you move in.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • yoshiyella
    yoshiyella Posts: 590 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Maybe it is just the weather caused a pipe to burst.

That is what has happened to us in the last week - nothing sinister at all.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    yoshiyella wrote: »
    Maybe it is just the weather caused a pipe to burst.

That is what has happened to us in the last week - nothing sinister at all.
    I'm sure you're right. But the OP is about to buy a house that has had a leak of some sort and is rightly concerned that any damage is properly assessed and if necessary repaired.

I would not exchange until my surveyor had checked it out.
  • luckypotato
    Options
    Thanks all.

We are viewing again next Monday. We've been told it was tap valves that blew due to the cold weather and that this has now been rectified by a plumber. My only quibble now is the fact that the water remains turned off - perhaps I'm wrong in thinking that it should be turned on to maintain the pipework?

On the viewing I plan on switching the water on (we have permission for this) and I'm going to run the taps for fifteen minutes or so and check the shower, flush the toilets, etc. Should I be doing anything else?
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    the water remains turned off - perhaps I'm wrong in thinking that it should be turned on to maintain the pipework?
    I think this proves it should be turned off to maintain the pipework! (at least until there's no risk of freezing or until someone starts keeping the property adequately heated).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure