IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Ukcps

Options
Hi new to this site, I was just wondering about these parking fines, I been ignoring the letters about the fine like everybody suggests but now today I've received a court summons about it, is this something I should NOT ignore? This is totally out of character for me as i normally always pay what I'm meant to, wasn't even me that got the ticket it was my son and was him saying to ignore everything. Just don't know what to do 😓

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 30 June 2016 at 10:18PM
    Options
    today I've received a court summons about it, is this something I should NOT ignore?

What you do is read the forum and search it - and yes, acknowledge the claim - IN YOUR NAME, NOT YOUR SON'S - and defend it as registered keeper. This is not a biggie and if you lose at a hearing your son can pay you back, about £150, no huge costs. And you may well win.

There is a section in the NEWBIES top thread where the heading says 'Small Claim?' so read that, especially reading through Bargepole's linked post there about how to complete the paperwork and how to acknowledge it intending to 'defend in full' once you've registered using the password for MCOL that your court paperwork gives you, on page one.

DO NOT PUT ANY WORDS IN THE ONLINE DEFENCE BOX AND DO NOT POST IT, DO IT ONLINE.

Do not respond to any poster here offering to 'help' as they would have a vested interest and are usually given away by their small post count compared to those of us regulars, with thousands (or tens of thousands) of posts to our name!

So, once acknowledged you then read other defences here of course. Search 'UKCPS defence' for starters but only read 2016 threads as things changed more recently as regards defences.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 30 June 2016 at 2:59PM
    Options
    firstly , its not a court summons, its an MCOL (google it) and will be from Northampton (or Salford) if its real, so check it is real for starters

it was NOT a "fine2 either , its an INVOICE , a speculative invoice , nothing more (a parking charge)

the NEWBIES sticky thread explains all of these matters , and post #1 has a sub-section dealing with court claims

UKCPS had 6 years to invoke a court claim, an MCOL, which is what they appear to have done

think Judge Rinder , a civil case , but without the quips and theatrics

now do as CM states above

ps:- your son does not know what he is talking about !!
  • Claire67
    Options
    Thankyou to you both, I'll do my best with what you've said I just can't get my head round it, think it be easier to make him pay it personally, it is now £175 tho
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    To muddy the waters further, there may be some v.a.t. skulduggery going on. Read this:

If, as they claim, this is contractual charge, it is a fee for parking, and thus vatable. Have they accounted for vat on their paper work?

Ask them for a vat invoice. If they ignore your request, (which they probably will), it is a useful stick with which to beat them if it ever gets to court.

More reading here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5033796&highlight=

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5195437&highlight

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5087925&highlight=

If you suspect tax evasion report it to the fraud hot line here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5087925&highlight

You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Claire67
    Options
    Oh thanks...it's not showing anything anywhere about VAT and the court address is katharines street, looks like it could be spelt wrong too, postcode NN1.

So you also say for me to not fill this form by hand? Only on line?

Sorry I'm just not very clued up with it which serves me right I suppose listening to my son
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    Options
    Northampton is the government central clearing centre for MCOL, which is why it has a Northampton postcode

if you were to defend the claim, you can change the venue to a court near you

so in theory there is NO COURT at Northampton at that address, just a civil service centre (they have to have them somewhere and in this case it centralised on Northampton)

if you were to defend it, you can do either an online defence, or fill in the form

if you are defending it, read the court sub-section of post #1 of the NEWBIES sticky thread, especially the Bargepole link

any post to do with VAT is in relation to UKCPS in Leeds, not the court
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,356 Forumite
    Options
    Don't be diverted by the VAT issue - it won't win this case for you, and you've got enough to do in preparing your court papers. Leave it until well after your court case.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 30 June 2016 at 10:29PM
    Options
    Claire67 wrote: »
    Oh thanks...it's not showing anything anywhere about VAT and the court address is katharines street, looks like it could be spelt wrong too, postcode NN1.

So you also say for me to not fill this form by hand? Only on line?

Sorry I'm just not very clued up with it which serves me right I suppose listening to my son

Well yes but at the moment all you need to do is acknowledge the claim online, takes minutes, leave the defence box blank. Bargepole's post linked in the NEWBIES thread explains.

Forget about the VAT issue, as Umkomaas says this isn't a point of defence. You have other points you WILL find when you simply search the forum for other threads by people who have been there, done that and come out the other side. And the sky didn't fall in!

If you just pay it you are funding the next few PCNs yourself and enouraging them to continue with more court claims. That always seems weak and supporting the wrong side, to me. Even if you lose at a hearing you'd only pay about...£175! No CCJ, no effect on your credit rating - and we can assist once you have done some reading of other threads and put together a defence.

Why not get your son to research and find the threads as he got you into this life experience?! Honestly, that's all it is. Just something to get your teeth into to try to defeat them and win, or at least make a good effort NOT to join them by letting them have your money without a fight. We do this all the time. Whoever researches the forum (you or your son) will find LOADS of defences that you could adapt. You can do this.

WHY LINE THE POCKETS OF SCUMBAGS WHOSE HQ IS BEHIND A PUB IN LEEDS? I wouldn't.

And don't reply to any private message from someone offering to help - don't forget. Less than 1000 posts = indicates not a regular here.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 1 July 2016 at 9:35AM
    Options
    I always mention v.a.t. because one day UKCPS may ticket a vat expert who knows precisely how to use this information against a PPC.

I am not suggesting that it should be part of everyones' defence, but was it not tax evasion that was the undoing of Mr Capone?
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure