PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Help please - no viewings :(

Options

Comments

• GrumpyDil
    GrumpyDil Posts: 1,639 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I could be wrong but I seem to recall the 1000 buyers incentives routinely offered by these agents and is linked to using their mortgage broker and linked conveyancer
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    If I search on Rightmove for Knottingley £110K - £130K then I just see a lot of houses I'd look at before considering yours. I don't like town houses,and I don't like the lack of a proper garden, but I am not alone in that.

It may be that there a lot of houses for sale in Knottingley right now, in which case you need to drop the price if you want to sell now, or just hang on until there are fewer alternatives.

Or it may be the case that this is the normal state of affairs in which case you just need to drop the price. There's nicer houses available for the same money.
  • sheff6107
    sheff6107 Posts: 451 Forumite
    Options
    You have 213 views on Zoopla, which isn't bad.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    swingaloo wrote: »
    It is a nice looking house although having lived in a three storey once I would never do it again but the description is a bit confusing. It says split over 3 floors and the hallway, cloakroom and garage are the ground floor and then says the kitchen diner is on the first floor implying that the kitchen and lounge are above the garage/hallway. But, the photo shows the kitchen doors as being on the ground floor.

Swingaloo - Yes slightly confusingly, the lounge is above the garage and the garden is out the back of the kitchen. I assume the house is built on a hill (if that makes sense).

I assumed it was as well. But. It's your house you must know if it is or not?
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you asked the agents what is happening with the site analytics? I used to get reports from my EA when selling property, showing how often my page is being accessed. If you are coming up in searches regularly but people aren't clicking through, its often price. Of if they are clicking through and not inquiring further it can be down to pics.

Of course there are lots of other variables, but the EA should at least be able to help with this part.
  • BJV
    BJV Posts: 2,535 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not any more.

Ok perhaps I have missed something but why not?

There is always news about house prices god it has been going on forever. Everyone speculates everyone appears to have there fingers on the pulse.

I don't I am just a regular person. Perhaps a little simplistic in my view but I bought my first home in 1990 paid what we thought was way too much sold it again in 2003. Again what some thought was way to much.

Each time I have worked on houses and doubled my money while living somewhere nice. While enjoying where I live.

Bought my now home last year. Got a "good deal". The house next door slightly smaller and with smaller plot, but in need of just as much work has just completed at over £100,000 more than mine.

There is never a good time to buy a house. It will always cost you more than you think. There is never a good time to sell you will never get exactly what you want.

Nothing ever really changes. The cost of one may decrease but unless you are FTB or selling and not replacing the bit in the middle normally or certainly where we are remains the same.

We also own a number of rentals. So hey a drop in prices would be good for us as we can buy more. But I think we could start to talk ourselves into a house price drop and economy slide.

Public optimism is far more important than lots of people think. House prices and the feeling of apparent wealth is important to a lot of us.

OP I wish you luck and sincerely hope that you find a buyer and a beautiful new home.
    Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!:A
  • DumbMuscle
    DumbMuscle Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    sheff6107 wrote: »
    You have 213 views on Zoopla, which isn't bad.
    Bear in mind it's linked from this thread, so a number of the views will come from forumites who would never buy it!
  • flightsoffanciful
    Options
    Thanks all - and to BJV for the well wishes :) It might take a while but we will get there!

I have the website analytics through the EA web portal. It is coming up in a lot of searches (more than EA average), the conversion rate is just below EA average. So I guess it's a combination of price and pictures.

We bought a new build house, in an area that isn't the most desirable in the country, so we know we aren't going to make a profit and we do want to be realistic. We know the houses on our street have taken a while to sell, and this house isn't for everyone, but we do want to make the best of what it has to offer (garage, off street parking, large kitchen diner, large lounge, 3 good size bedrooms etc). We hope some better photos will help to show that so that we aren't putting people off unecessarily! We will see how that goes and crunch some numbers around the price as well.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    BJV wrote: »
    Ok perhaps I have missed something but why not?

There is always news about house prices god it has been going on forever. Everyone speculates everyone appears to have there fingers on the pulse.

I don't I am just a regular person. Perhaps a little simplistic in my view but I bought my first home in 1990 paid what we thought was way too much sold it again in 2003. Again what some thought was way to much.

Each time I have worked on houses and doubled my money while living somewhere nice. While enjoying where I live.

Bought my now home last year. Got a "good deal". The house next door slightly smaller and with smaller plot, but in need of just as much work has just completed at over £100,000 more than mine.

There is never a good time to buy a house. It will always cost you more than you think. There is never a good time to sell you will never get exactly what you want.

Because that's his mindset - "a crash is imminent." Bear in mind that Crashy would have advised you not to buy a year ago .... and the year before that .... and the year before that, etc.

Thats because a crash was (according to him) imminent, its always imminent as he needs it to be to justify the gamble he took 20 years ago that didn't pay off, moving from mortgage to rental.

Had he had the guts to acknowledge what a poor decision that was and bought around 2010 in the depths of the then house price recession, he could at least have recovered somewhat, but to him it would seem that however much prices have fallen, they will always fall more.

Based on his posts here, he evidently believes that if prices have risen, that means its a bubble and they are just about to fall, if they are static that shows they are just about to fall, and if they have fallen, then they will fall more :rotfl:

There is no conceivable scenario where he thinks they will not fall.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I have no idea on prices in the area etc. so I'm just going to critique your presentation which is not terrible and I like a lot of things in your house, but a few tweaks will make a big difference

Oh, I'm also going to criticise your fish care as well, is there actually one living in that bowl? If so get the poor thing cleaned and ideally into a bigger tank asap!

Ok, so...

Photo 1, lounge, find somewhere else for the guitar to live, maybe replace that rug with a plainer one, possibly a round one. I get a sense that there are important parts of the room on the sides I can't see, probably because the sides I can see look a bit bare and there is no sign of a TV stand, maybe you don't have one, but if you do get another picture of the lounge from the other side.

Photo 2, kitchen is nice, but get rid of almost everything on the surfaces and walls. If you've got a rack that looks like its intended for pans then it would be odd empty, but put your two best pans up there decoratively not all of them crowded on functionally! Hide the aprons/tea towels.

Photo 3, a bed up against a window makes it look like that's the only place it will fit. If its not then move it against the other wall. As others have said, lamp should be on a bedside table, bedding needs to be perfectly crisp like a hotel, iron it! Also don't have the books and things on your windowsill, its not a shelf and it looks like you're running out of storage space. At most it should have one nice decorative item, maybe a low key vase and some fresh flowers?

Photo 4, think others have covered this. Garden looks messy and chaotic. Tidy it up, simplify it, get some green into the lower levels with a few tubs if you can.

Photo 5, sorry but this room looks terrible, the bed is absolutely squashed in, I think if you can only fit a double by having it pressed up against the wall on three sides than a single is a better way to present for sale, if that's not possible the room needs to be gorgeous to distract from how cramped it is. I don't know what the white thing is attached to the left side of the bed, but that should come off for photos. Again, pristine fresh ironed bedding, get rid of clutter, and get a new photo that doesn't show the stairwell front and centre!

Photo 6, a nice room but if you can possible rearrange the furniture so that the bed isn't shoved up against the wall and boxed in it would seem like a bigger room and better space. Do you really need that big green shelving unit? Its quite imposing and it doesn't look like its full of stuff you absolutely need to have to hand at all times. Again, iron your bedding!

Photo 7, why do you have a blue toilet seat? It completely clashes and makes a perfectly nice bathroom look ugly! The red blind doesn't really go either but if you get rid of the blue seat that won't be so bad and you can maybe get a few other bits and pieces in red (nicer bottles of shower gel etc. you can get posh looking ones quite cheap at TK Maxx) to tie it together a bit.

Photo 8, terrible picture, so dark! Again, get rid of nearly everything from your kitchen. Nothing on top or the side of the fridge and units, no draining boards or washing up bowls at the sink, no cleaning products on the windowsill. Always have all lights turned on for photos. As posters above have said get a good one of the dining table (with nothing on it except a nice bunch of flowers in the middle!) and I'd also move that wendy house thing that's right outside the patio doors. It blocks light and the view of the garden and it looks like you'd crash it into it when you stepped outside if you weren't careful!

I hope that's not been too harsh, but really it is crazy how much little things like that can make a difference to the emotions that your house stirs in prospective viewers. It won't magically sell it if the price is wrong, but it will get viewers in and get them cooing over the place if the price is right.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport