Percentage split cash, stock, bonds etc

Options
2»

Comments

• thenewcomer
    Options
    just looking back at your initial post- please as a new investor, do not do crypto. i know everyone has different opinions on this, but this is just what i think is right.

PS: i am not into crypto. no conflict of interest.
    Aim to retire by 45.
  • dont_use_vistaprint
    Options
    Prism wrote: »
    Sure. At the moment I guess that's between 4-5k per year for accomodation.

More like 6-8K per year for a decent accomodation and other things that crop up. 1st year in halls can be a little more expensive
    "It is not the critic who counts..." - Theodore Roosevelt
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    edited 19 February 2018 at 9:14PM
    Options
    Should I ditch all cash and just use premium bonds for instant access ?

Why would you have all of your cash holdings in premium bonds? Surely it would make sense to earn some interest on your cash, rather than allow inflation to ravage it completely? You won't be able to completely protect against the effects of inflation, but with sensible diversification of your cash holdings you should be able to go a long way to reducing the impact. Premium bonds won't do this.

You may get lucky and win big, but the chances are that you won't. Have a look at this to get a clearer idea why premium bonds are rubbish: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/premium-bonds-calculator/
    What about cryptos - worth considering ?

No.

You'd be better keeping it in premium bonds: at least your initial deposit would be safe.

Cryptocurrencies are ludicrously high risk. The whole point of cash holdings is that they are extremely low risk.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure