Pension credit - first payment made but no letter from DWP

Options
A relative recently applied for pension credit – backdated to early December – and has today had nearly £1000 paid into her nominated bank account.

She assumes this is her first pension credit payment (two months worth) but has had no written communication/letter from the DWP confirming this.

Do DWP not normally write to you with your benefit award – before paying you the cash?

PS She is obviously happy with the payment – but assumed they would write to her first!

Comments

• anmarj
    anmarj Posts: 1,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There will be a letter on its way detailing how their award is made, but can take up to 10 working days to be received. Payment once released takes 3 working days. They can if they want call the pension service and they can ask what the award is over the phone.
  • elmer
    elmer Posts: 904 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If its a Pension Credit payment, the reference on the payment will be her Ni number and PC after it

elmer
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    We had something similar with my Mum's Attendance Allowance claim.
    The first claim was rejected, we appealed and then a large sum hit my Mum's bank account with no notification from DWP..
    We could tell it was Attendance Allowance as - elmer says - it had her NI number and AA after it on the statement but I did ring up just to check (Mum is a worrier).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure