Where to move £41K to?

Options
Hello

I hope someone can give me a little guidance. I'll try to be brief. I usually take control of our household finances, but due to illness have let this slide.

My husband is taking Voluntary Redundancy, today's his last day and he's received £41k compensation. It's currently sitting in a Halifax Reward account (virtually no interest). That's all so far, he'll be getting a pension of approx 40k, I think soon.

I'm confused as to where to deposit the £41k in the interim, until we decide what to do with it. We want as much interest as possible.

We've already maxed the 2 Santander accounts, so might open a single one. I'll check the best savings accounts again. We are mortgage free thankfully. All advice very much appreciated. appreciated.:A

Comments

• AlanP_2
    AlanP_2 Posts: 3,253 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Interest paying current accounts in the short term whilst you work out where you are and what your longer term plans and income will be once no salary coming in?
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Remember that he'll have to pay income tax on £11K of that £41K-only the first £30K is tax free.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Most of the banks offering 3% or more interest paying current accounts allow a couple to have two sole and one joint account - so £60k in Santander, £15k in Lloyds (4%), £6k in TSB (5%)(or more if you already have the accounts), £7.5k in Nationwide (5%), £12k in Tesco, £30k in BOS (3 sole accounts each)
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    Remember that he'll have to pay income tax on £11K of that £41K-only the first £30K is tax free.

A vital point. Your husband should consider bunging approx £11k gross into a personal pension of some sort to avoid Higher Rate income tax. Then he can take the tax-free lump sum whenever he wants, and trickle the rest out as income drawdown taxed at 20% from next tax year onwards.

In fact he'd be wise to work out how much money he's going to have above the Higher rate threshold this tax year, since his April and May pay-packets might also be exposed to Higher Rate tax.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • booklover
    booklover Posts: 897 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone. Apologies for delay in replying, but we're trying to adjust to this new point in our lives.

We understand the situation a lot better now. He was taxed at the higher rate, as his last salary was so high. I know he'll have to contact HMRC for a tax rebate.

You've been really helpful, thanks again. We're seeing an IFA next week for additional advice.

Take care.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport