Friday 17th October - What small DFW things will you do today?

Options
13»

Comments

• DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,450 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    twiggy86 wrote: »
    Do you mean like the change machines you get in supermarkets to put all your loose change in but the supermarket ones take a cut?

If so I need to check out my bank as I normally use the supermarket ones and it annoys me how much they take!

Even if your HSBC branch doesn't have a machine, I have found that they are happy to give you bags to count the coins into so that you can pay them in. Some banks are funny about this for some reason, but I have not found HSBC to be. It is a bit of a faff, but better than giving 7% or so of your money to the supermarkets for nothing :eek:

They are happy to give out change as well, for example if you are planning to do a car boot sale.
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi All

Happy Friday!

Glad to hear you are feeling better Ziggy.
    Chris freelander -You can use Kale in lots of things. Some suggestions would be, red lentil Dahl, as an ingredient in stir fry, within a soup, as a side dish on a main meal. Yum Kale!
    Hi Twiggy & Ratison welcome aboard!
    Waves to Solvencyseeker, Peaony, Shoots, Dawn, Bag puss, Aloof dragon.
    Foxgloves - sorry to hear about the redundancy threat for your husband. Not nice at all.

Me today.
    1. I managed to find a pack of 12 sausages for only £1.75 so I made a sausage casserole for dinner using 6. The others will go into sandwiches over the weekend. I used up some pasta I'd defrosted by snipping it into tiny bits & adding it to the dinner.
    2. I was very cross to recieve an email from BT telling me I'd gone over my broadband allowance and they were charging me £25 extra this month. So I rang Supernet & switched us to a £24.99 a month unlimited broadband package which includes our line rental & calls. Apparently BT are putting their prices up this December too for any of you who are still with them. This has chopped around £25 off our monthly bills at the least.
    3. Someone had put a load of stuff outside their house they didn't want. I have come away with a lovely wicker basket with a handle, 6 gorgeous throws, a new pillow, & a duvet case! All will be washed of course but if I'd had to buy all that lot you'd be looking at £50 plus. It has lifted my living room having all the colours in the one basket. Wish I could post a picture to show you.
    4. Have planned the weekends food. Because our belt is so far pulled in ahead of next weeks payday I am shocked to report I've only spent £20 on our shopping this week. We budget £40. Annoyingly it's not like I now have £20 spare as it's all just not coming out of the overdraft at this stage. But still it shows what you can do. That's 2 adults and a child. 3 meals a day for 5 days so far. And we've had biscuits & some small treats within that too. Think the main one is giving up booze.

Tonight chez Bob we will be finding out how Season 2 of House of Cards finishes. How will I live without the dreadful Mr Underwood in my life?

Night all.
    B
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • roxykitten
    Options
    Hi! Went on a course today at work for a new qualification I'm taking and it finished FOUR HOURS early woop woop! ate my packed lunch in the car then stopped at asda on the way home to buy the couple of branded goods my snob of a husband wont eat the aldi equivalent of (all without the kids slowing me down because they were still at school)! We had a frozen pizza for dinner with leftover bits and pieces I could find. Tomorrows job is to get the uniforms washed, I usually start this as soon as the kids get home from school by giving them an early bath and clean pjs but we went round my mums for a bit and now we are all on the sofa and I cant move because I'm tired from getting up so early all week! Tomorrow I also have to pay for swimming lessons booooo! But I desperately want both children swimming before we go on our next hol this time next year!
    happy Friday :) x
  • ziggy2407
    ziggy2407 Posts: 4,078 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ziggy2407 wrote: »
    Good Morning All

Hi to all of the regulars and a BIG welcome to all the newbies, this is a really FAB thread with so many lovely, caring, considerate and supportive people. Dont forget we also have a small things on Facebook, if anyone wishes to join

Already been for a walk up to son's old school and took old batteries for recycling (school funds) and two large bags of junk for model making. Feeling much better today , so today I will:

Hoover & Dust Lounge -
    Craft -
    Sort present box (and write list) -
    Check Banks -
    Check swapits -
    Packed lunch for DH - Done
    Enter a few comps -
    Sort emails (& unsubscribe where possible) -
    Nectar Adpoints -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Read book (from stash) -
    Check https://www.freepostcodelottery.com -

Have a great day, love to you all

C x

Great day, everything complete :D and to top it all I managed to win Football tickets for hubby and son for tomorrows home match so they're :D too
    Goodreads 2024 Challenge: 32/80
    Goodreads 2023 Challenge: 77/52

• ziggy2407
    Options
    Hi - I'm a newbie so maybe my small things are big things but I wanted to post!
    Today I will/have:-
    1. Check online banking
    2. Create my signature
    3. Do a snowball report
    4. Sort clothes to weigh in (already done sort out and carbooted the better stuff)
    5. Put clothes on eBay
    peony40 wrote: »
    Good Morning,

Jobs for today are:

Go through freezer and menu plan from the contents of freezer and pantry.
    Try and catch up with washing and use the heated airer, not the tumble dryer.
    Hoover through the sitting room and dining room, plus declutter so that it is looking tidy for the weekend.
    Work out a new budget as money is tight at the moment.

I think this will be enough to work on for now.
    Ratison wrote: »
    Like twiggy86 I am also new! I've signed up to keep myself accountable for my plan to pay off two (currently interest free) debts totalling £3700.

What I've done so far:

1. Went through my bank account and totalled my monthly payments so I have an exact idea of what I'm left with each month.
    2. Set a budget for each week
    3. Had a mental look through my freezer and thought about what I can make for the next few days
    4. Made a plan of what I can pay each month. Planning to pay off my interest free overdraft of £1700 by end of December
    - I have 700 in my debt fund. Payrise end of November, so I will save £500 from Nov and £500 fro December pay and it will be gone
    - £2000 on a Barclaycard interest free until 1st June 2015. I'm paying £200 a month towards this, then from January's pay, I will put more towards it.

Feeling really excited to get this sorted!

Welcome to you all, you've joined a great thread ;)

• ziggy2407
    Options
    Do you mean like the change machines you get in supermarkets to put all your loose change in but the supermarket ones take a cut?

If so I need to check out my bank as I normally use the supermarket ones and it annoys me how much they take!

If all else fails you can always use all your loose change in the self service tills ;)

• ziggy2407
    Options
    Just a small wee thing I done today was finally pluck up the courage and stop dilly dallying to contact S/C and have them take the pressure off our lil family :)

I read this thread daily and have had umpteen fab ideas from here I am now going to start posting and doing instead of festering in the background x

Welcome onboard :T

• GettingOrganised
    Options
    Good evening everyone, lovely to see lots of new posters on the thread. Foxgloves - sorry to hear about your Hubby's job, hopefully he won't be affected.

My list for today:
    Breakfast and dinner from stores - lunch was supposed to be a tin of soup, but a colleague was offering cheese and biscuits and I didn't need anything else after that, so soup saved for another day.
    Went to Asda to have a look at their toy sale and picked up some Christmas presents
    Checked bank
    Will check bb and pcl later
    Burgers out of the freezer for tomorrow's tea
    No heating on again, although I would love to feel warm and snug in my own home (especially after going to other people's houses and they are so toasty)
    Tackled wash mountain - no idea where it all comes from!
    Lovely long phone call with my Mum
    I was very tempted to open a bottle of wine, but settled for a brew and cake

Well, I think that's it - my lists are so boring compared to others! Oh well, onto the weekend when the money saving becomes so much more difficult!

Hope everyone has a good one.
    SPC # 348 2014-£169.07/2015 - £156.89
    GC 2014 Feb-Dec £2931.62
    GC 2015 Jan £216.93/£220 Feb £291.97/£215 Mar £213.64/£220 Apr £207.62/£220
    DFBXmas2015 #40 - £3,474.61/£4,000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts